View Full Version : What the hell are ya waitin for?

04-02-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm running LW 6.5 and just got a G4 1.42...

I hate being in the middle of updates like this... using LW for mainly stills/illustrations I really didn't feel the need to upgrade to 7.

So the age-old question is (and I know what the answer is, I just want to hear it), do I upgrade to 7.5 so late in the game, or try and limp along until the next update?

Also (thinking out loud here) LW x.5 usually seems to be the WORKING version of an update, so LW 8.0 probably won't be fun to use right out of the box.

I'm getting an ulcer. Help me out here.


04-02-2003, 10:58 AM
so...what the hell are ya waiting for?
7.5 works pretty darn well(NO 7.5b)
few warts and freckles, but worth the bump(iMO)
8 may be out there some where,maybe....
who knows? but it took a year to get a maintenance patch7.5b
which promptly Hosed quite a bit of big stuff?
....might be waiting for8 quite a while.;)

04-02-2003, 01:57 PM
of your nice new shiny G4/1.42ghz Dual to be running LW 6.5...

I can undertstand at this point waiting for LW 8. But 7.5 is the most useable Mac version they've ever made. Perfect? No, but it's light years ahead of LW 6.5...

04-02-2003, 03:59 PM
yup. agreement from me as well.

Plus, there's a bunch of 3rd party plugs that make 7.5 even better. I know G2 is OSX only--don't know if LW made an OSX 6.5 or whether that was done with 7.0

04-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Just do it dave you know you want to :-)

04-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Hehe! Run, don`t walk, to that store! :D


04-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Order's in... I feel better now. Thanks everyone.

Hey look, Dave's finally gotten the 7.5 upgrade. Now we can release 8!!

Hey look, Dave bought a G4 1.42 and dumped his PowerMac 8500. Let's make 'em obsolete and release new models next week at half the price... and throw in LW 7.5, G2 and Sasquatch... just to piss 'em off.

aw, crap

04-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by dmg3d
[B]Order's in... I feel better now. Thanks everyone.

Hey look, Dave's finally gotten the 7.5 upgrade. Now we can release 8!!

Actually they're still waiting for me to upgrade too :D
If software developers had at least such never-true roadmaps...

04-03-2003, 02:47 PM
I would at least wait until SIGGRAPH to see if Newtek has any surprises.

04-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Newtek may have some surprises, but I doubt that they'll have anything to do with Lightwave.

Honestly, from what I've been seeing on these boards, I would be surprised to see a new version of Lightwave THIS YEAR. From people leaving, the Luxology/Newtek soap opera, the only Mac programmer gone, to the 7.5b fiasco, I've come to realize that a new version is WAY down the road.

That's not to say I don't have any confidence in Newtek... I just feel it'll probably be awhile before things get straightened out and on track. That's why I FINALLY updated to 7.5... (should be here tomorrow).


04-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Maybe luxology is a fake business setup by maya to drain out all the talent from newtek to stunt their growth?

04-03-2003, 11:07 PM
This is 100% true. Also MAYA stands for Martians Are Your Attackers!

Ikik! Ikikikik! Ikik!


04-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Just got the update. Boy, was I surprised when I installed it! I guess that's what I get for waiting so long. First Newtek retracts 7.5b, now they retracted 7.5! Maybe if I would've waited longer, we'd be back to 6.5!! :D


04-05-2003, 01:40 PM
oops... screenshot:

04-05-2003, 03:26 PM
:eek: :eek:
7.3?? And it even says so twice...
am slowly starting to worry about Newtek :D

04-08-2003, 12:23 PM
The 7.5 update was originally going to be 7.1, got larger and became 7.3 and then was rolled into 7.5 quite late in the day for marketing reasons. Luxology had a fun little discussion about this - not sure how seriously to take the idea of 7.pi though.

04-08-2003, 02:45 PM
*lol* 7.pi...
what will then be the next? 7.e^2? :D