PDA

View Full Version : Batch Recapture Help?

Liber777
08-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I have a 2-camera edit consisting of 4 original DV clips that I batch captured and need to recapture to perform some additional editing on.

The edit is over an hour long and has more than 1,000 edits. When I load the VT project back into Batch Capture, I get an entry for every edit decision and the batch capture utiliity wants to capture each of those edits as the in and out point , creating numerous new clips instead of restoring the original clips that I was working from.

Is there any workaround for this? Can anyone advise me how I can recapture my original 4 clips exactly as they were captured the first time around?

Thank you....
Stivan

SCS
08-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Any chance you kept a version of the project before you started editing (undo/redo?)?

Liber777
08-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I kinda started down that path a couple times. I have saved versions of the project, and I kept the undo stack, but nothing going back to the beginning. I would literally have to keep clicking undo thousands and thousands of times! Unless there's a super-undo script...?

Scott Bates
08-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Try loading the first (oldest) undo into VT-Edit, undo whatever's been done to the clips and save it as a project. That should be close to your original four clips. Or maybe create a new project with just those four clips in their uncut condition? Don't know, just stabbing at possibilities here.

Liber777
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks. I've been working on some variation of what you've suggested. Problem is that I'd left the Max Undos setting at 100, which didn't get me far. Also, the batch capture numbers completely change depending on the in and out point of the clips, so I'm trying again with the in and out points adjusted all the way out.

Each "test" takes me a good 3 hours or so of capturing time.

I saw in an earlier thread that it might make a difference if the project is saved at a vt-edit project or a toaster-edit project. Is this still true?

bradl
08-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Stivan,

Have you tried looking at Edit Properties for any one of your edited clips. It should show you how long the original clip was and the starting and stopping TC's. Or clone a clip and hit 'g' to clear the in and outs and now recapture that entire long clip... maybe I am not understanding your true situation properly?

Liber777
08-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Thanks, Brad. I'd done this before, but somehow what I captured didn't line up with the original. Started with this approach again last night. I deleted all the edits except for the first one of each of the 4 clips and then set the in and out points to the original beginning and end, and started recapturing. Both the regular vt-edit and toaster.edit projects looked the same when pulled into batch capture.

I'll let you know!

Liber777
08-20-2004, 04:46 PM
*sigh*

It didn't work. The clips are all off by a few seconds.....

Liber777
08-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Soooo....... here's my question; Is there any way, either through the Tool Shed, or through scripting, to change the in and out points of all of the clips with the same alias by the same amount?

Assuming some way to do this, all I have to do is figure out exactly how far out of sync each of the 4 captured clips is, and then adjust all their derived clips by the same amount.

....? :-)

Thanks,
Stivan

bradl
08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
You can change your re-captured clips to the desired code and all the clips theoretically would line up. Two ways to change TC that I know of and one I am not sure still works.

1. The hard way is to go into the hidden Newtek Info folder where your clip is and open the 'timecode' file in notepad, change code and resave.

2. There used to be an entry in Edit Properties (F8) that would allow starting TC to be adjusted. I am not at my machine and have not needed this since VT2, so not sure exactly what it is called or if it is still there, but I pretty sure it is.

tmon
08-26-2004, 01:33 PM
This might be related to things discussed in this old thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=9586&page=1&pp=15

James Moore
08-27-2004, 10:48 AM
With RS422 I've gotten a batch recapture to work frame accurately, but the key was to load the list into the batch capture module and not to use the 'batch capture project' from the timeline.

In your case I would create a new project with the original in and outs of your files. Load this project into the batch capture module and then see if the edit conforms nicely with the new capture.