PDA

View Full Version : modeling flutes in a column?

Johnny
08-19-2004, 06:23 PM
the green line/dot points at what I'm talking about..

I can imagine how to make a cross section of the column with flutes, and to extrude it, but then you get to the rounded ends of those flutes, and I'm a little stumped.

would you model a smooth column, then use capsule shapes to carve out the flutes with boolean operations, or would that be too klunky?

thoughts?

J

http://www.bluemitten.com/col.jpg

hrgiger
08-19-2004, 06:42 PM
I've modeled a few columns in my time and I always used boolean cylinders but I've wondered if there was a better way.

Silkrooster
08-19-2004, 07:25 PM
I would think using the capsule tool would give a more rounded end than the cylinder. But either way would be no good if he is going to subpatch. If you do that then I guess its time to get out the knife or similar tool to create more points and manually select the points and move them into the column.
Silk

Silkrooster
08-19-2004, 07:35 PM
I thought of another way. Recreate the column, by using a spline and then extrude that for the length of your column. Then set your top that you already created onto that column.
Silk

Johnny
08-20-2004, 06:15 AM
are you describing a way of getting those flutes by modeling and not by using booleans?

J

mattclary
08-20-2004, 07:06 AM
I would stick with a boolean.

You can use a capsule, or you could use a sphere, then stretch the column to the length you wanted.

hrgiger
08-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Here, I spent about 10 minutes on this but I have to run to work right now so I wont' be home til later this afternoon if you have quesitons. It's subpatch.

Johnny
09-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Here, I spent about 10 minutes on this but I have to run to work right now so I wont' be home til later this afternoon if you have quesitons. It's subpatch.

Hi, giger...if you have a moment to describe how you arrived at that image you post, I'd appreciate. Here's a screen grab of the best I could do with booleans..I couldn't end up wit the column being round AND having the flutes carved out of it by capsules..maybe my method is wrong, but booleans didn't always function for me.

thanks!

Johnny

http://www.bluemitten.com/column.jpg

Silkrooster
09-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Here is something you could try. Create a new disc for the post give it more sides than you have in your last image. Try something like 16 sides. Give this new post a surface name. Turn on smoothing. Now do your booleans.
After you do your boolean subtractions remember to do an automatic merge. After you do the merge you may need to reduce the smoothing angle to get rid of the artifacts.
For the booleans I used small capsules and created an array around the post.
Silk

mattclary
09-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Done with Booleans. Modeling phase took less than two minutes.

mattclary
09-23-2004, 08:18 PM
As you can see, I wasn't shy with the polygons. ;)

Johnny
09-23-2004, 08:30 PM
As you can see, I wasn't shy with the polygons. ;)

thanks for taking time to show what you did...I *think* it's basically what I did..how I thought to do it based on your earlier comments from weeks ago..

There must be something wrong with HOW I do what you did...I'm going to do it again tomorrow..I'll show when I get it right..

J

mattclary
09-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Try this: Disc tool, with 36 sides. Drag it as big as you want it. Capsule tool, with 32 sides. Place the capsule about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the column. I used array with 16 copies, you can use more or less as needed. The trick to getting good booleans is to give it plenty of geometry to work with. You cam make the insides of the cuts a different material to better control smoothing. If you make a fully developed column with lintels and everything, you will probably need several surfaces to better control smoothing. I used only one with a smooting angle of about 64 degrees.

wizlon
09-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Here's a low poly version.

Johnny
09-25-2004, 05:19 PM
The trick to getting good booleans is to give it plenty of geometry to work with. You cam make the insides of the cuts a different material to better control smoothing. If you make a fully developed column with lintels and everything, you will probably need several surfaces to better control smoothing. I used only one with a smooting angle of about 64 degrees.

thanks, matt...I think THAT was my problem; using too-few polys in my boolean pieces...I now have super-smooth flutes and have to tinker, as you said, with different surfaces and smoothing angles to take the facets out of the column.

whew...

j

Johnny
09-26-2004, 03:48 PM
matt;

I'm curious, though about more boolean caveats aside from giving enough polygons..

I've gone in to try different size capsules and different amounts of them, and get strange tearing of the column when I hit sub D...

sometimes I get a warning about something about 'couldn't resolve faces' and suggests I triple the polys or add offset.

to me it's puzzling why a procedure will work once, but seemingly not repeateable

j

mattclary
09-26-2004, 05:06 PM
You realize I didn't sub-patch mine, right? If you want to and it is giving you issues, just make sure you've merged points and all your polys have either 3 or 4 points.

If the boolen itself isn't working right, you should either add geometry or shift around what you have. If two faces share the same spce (are on the same plane), this will definitely cause boolean problems.

Johnny
09-26-2004, 05:18 PM
ok...that sounds good to try; gives me some things TO try.

I'd tried stabilizing my column shape by adding some knife cuts to top and bottom, but that didn't take care of it all.

thanks for giving me a few things to noodle around!

j