PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this is a weird one...

Darth Mole
08-19-2004, 04:11 PM
First noticed this problem using X-DoF from Evasion|3D. When it's calculating the depth-of-field blurring, a small window appears with a progress bar. Now whenever this appeared the G5 squeaks, like a badly oiled wheel. The noise is coming from inside the G5... somewhere.

The pitch changes depending what windows are open, and I can alter it by running the cursor along the dock, highlighting icons.

Well, this was annoying when using X-Dof, but tonight it's just doing it with everything - there's this constant whine and every time I alter the screen - open a window, close a panel - it changes. And, well, now it's getting on my tits. Does anyone have ANY idea what the hell's going on? What on Earth could be making this stupid noise?

(Edit: As an update, I'm running Impact 3 at the moment and if I click and hold the main window, the noise stops. It starts again as soon as I loose it. Also, if I hide everything, it's still going on, so I assume it's to do with the G5 processing rather than any graphics thing. It's bascially like, when the G5 is working hard, it squeaks... but it only seems to do it with plug-ins running under LW!!)

JackDeL
08-19-2004, 08:59 PM
It's got to be one of the many fans in the G5 thats making that noise. Check the video card. :(

Darth Mole
08-20-2004, 01:34 AM
I checked it out on the Apple forum. Apparently it's the PSU - you can reduce the effect by setting the Processor Performance to Reduced - which I don't intend doing! (I didn't buy a dual 2GHZ machine to run slowly.)

There other ways round it which also sound dodgy, like using Apple's CHUD tools to remove the Nap function. Though this could lead to overheating.

I guess I'll just have to live with it. Although someone has said that Tiger gets rid of problem...

Whit
08-20-2004, 09:46 AM
I found I was getting noises when pages loaded, I moved the mouse, etc. The noise wasn't very loud, but annoying. The sound was coming out of my speakers.

After awhile I found that the cord that came from my "speaker out" port and went to the mixer was tangled up in power cords. When I moved the power cords, the noise changed. I untangled the power cords so that the audio cable crossed the power cords at 90 degrees (the least possible contact). The noises have gone away.

--Whit

pdrake
08-20-2004, 12:24 PM
i turned my radio up.

ingo
08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
My G5 is in another room, so i dont care if he squeaks or sings dirty songs as long as he get the renderings done :)

munky
08-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Whats that?..........a.......squeak......did you say?...........from your bee hive......who?.... who's a balding old fool?... what ... look.....no ..no I'm not at the airport I'm next to my G4.... can't hear a bloomin thing.......and a constant whine...well tell the client to go and do one then.......and as for the stupid nose...well what you do in modeller is entierly upto you.....

:)

regards

naughty munky

Darth Mole
08-24-2004, 04:12 AM
Yeah, thanks munky. Very... helpful.

I'll assume your G4 is noisy… I SAID, YOUR G4 IS - oh, never mind.