PDA

View Full Version : DVD logo



Schwing
08-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I didn't know where to ask, so I'll start here.

I'm doing an animation of the DVD logo and I'm not sure of the actual placement of DVD. Is point of the V at the center of the below disc or at the back edge? Does any one know? Another 3D render I saw had it at the back edge.

Tom

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/8166/dvd.jpg

mattclary
08-19-2004, 11:21 AM
From a DVD on Amazon...

Schwing
08-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Ah, you lost me there???

mattclary
08-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Sorry, didn't understand the question. I'd say it's up to you. Artistic license. Doubt the guy who invented the logo could tell you. ;)

Mylenium
08-19-2004, 01:10 PM
The edge isn't actually pointing anywhere, but should be in the center of the "hole". It should not be in contact with the "disc", but rather have a tiny gap. I'm sure you can find the exact specs somewhere on dvdforum.org. They have changed a bit over the years, but in practice that doesn't matter much, since anyone uses it's own creation anyway. On a side note you would also have to correctly licence it since it is a trademark, but who does this anyway?

Mylenium

Schwing
08-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mylenium
The edge isn't actually pointing anywhere, but should be in the center of the "hole". It should not be in contact with the "disc", but rather have a tiny gap.

Mylenium

If the point of the V is pointing toward the middle of the disc, that would make the point a distance away. If it were pointing toward the edge it would be fairly close. The website didn't really give 3 dimentional specs.:(



Originally posted by Mylenium
On a side note you would also have to correctly licence it since it is a trademark, but who does this anyway?

Mylenium

Went to the site, read alot, and will be filling out a request to use the DVD logo. If they approve, wahoo. If not, oh well.:confused:

Tom

Schwing
08-19-2004, 02:49 PM
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/8166/dvd2.jpg

Pointing to the edge.

Tom

Avebeno
08-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Funny, I thought the Ds were eyes, the V was a nose, and the circle was the mouth of Mr. DVD (who is looking to the left.)

caesar
08-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Avebeno
Funny, I thought the Ds were eyes, the V was a nose, and the circle was the mouth of Mr. DVD (who is looking to the left.)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO
HAHAHHAHAHHHEHEHHEHHUAHUAHUAHUHAUHAUHAUHAU

Schwing
08-20-2004, 08:34 AM
DVD
O

Interesting, but I can't get the mouth to center.:D

Lightwolf
08-20-2004, 08:39 AM
This is the best I have...

Lightwolf
08-20-2004, 08:41 AM
...and just to make this complete... :)

Schwing
08-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Wow, those are monster images.:eek:

But it still gives no clue as to the depth of placement of the DVD lettering. Is it a) pointing down to the center of the disc, as if it were the spindle, or b) pointing to the edge as if it were the laser point reading information from the disc.:confused: :confused: I need a beer.:D (no, I mean I want a beer)

Tom

Avebeno
08-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Hmmm. The 2D image looks flat to me.

You can make the logo move from the center out to the edge - if this is for an animation...

You can make the V part of the DVD logo extruded toward the camera and give to more depth too...

You can give the logo eye balls and a toothy DVD smile too!

Schwing
08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Avebeno
Hmmm. The 2D image looks flat to me.

You can make the logo move from the center out to the edge - if this is for an animation...

You can make the V part of the DVD logo extruded toward the camera and give to more depth too...

You can give the logo eye balls and a toothy DVD smile too!

:rolleyes: :confused: :D ;)

somnambulance
08-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Put the bottom of the V directly over the center of the hole, then send a picture of it to that DVD.org website and tell them it is the new standard for 3D DVD logos, dont take no for an answer.

Lightwolf
08-21-2004, 05:12 AM
Hi Tom,

Originally posted by Schwing
Wow, those are monster images.:eek:

But it still gives no clue as to the depth of placement of the DVD lettering. Is it a) pointing down to the center of the disc, as if it were the spindle, or b) pointing to the edge as if it were the laser point reading information from the disc.:confused: :confused: I need a beer.:D (no, I mean I want a beer)

Lol, I want a beer to :)
I thought I'd post something decent sized for you to get a reference in 2D.
As for the 3D placement, I just don't think there is an official one, so, do whatever you like best and makes the most sense to you :)
After all, you're adding an extra dimension that was never there in the beginning...
Cheers,
Mike