PDA

View Full Version : cloth over animation

lehcar511
04-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi. I am new here. I am currently working on my senior thesis which consists of a character tossing and turning on a bed. My original intention was to overlay a blanket with motion designer over the animation, however, I cannot seem to get it to work. I have read through a number of past threads on the subject but nothing seems to help with the complexity of my animation. I am almost prepared to give up on MD and do the entire thing by hand with morph targets using 144 morphs that I have set up. I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do this instead of the morphs since time is quickly escaping me.
Thank you so much for your help.
-Shana

Rory_L
04-02-2003, 06:41 PM
MD should work. What`s not going right?

The sheet should be a sub-division object, with its edges locked so they don`t move in the simulation. Make sure that the surface thickness is great enough to stop polys slipping through.

I suggest you model the sheet slightly domed above the sleeping figure, so that no part of the character touches the sheet at the start of the sim. Then just give the simulation a run up to your anim. proper and everything shoud be OK.

Best of luck!

R

lehcar511
04-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Well, mostly the problem is that the sheet will just completely fall through the object instead of covering it and thats only on a still frame. When I apply it to the animated scene layout crashes or goes wacky in ways that cloth should not be moved. I have the skin thickness very high and it should not be the problem.

I will try your suggestions and hopefully they will work however I have tried many similiar things but not a curved sheet. I don't think this is the problem though.
-Shana

Mylenium
04-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Are You using the MD on your original object? If yes, chances are it is to many polys. MD works best, if the colision object contains only vew but large polys. You might want to build a dummy for your simulation.

Mylenium

Rory_L
04-03-2003, 01:47 AM
That`s true.

I haven`t used MD in a long while, but I seem to remember something that might help: try making the cloth poly normals face down towards the sleeping body. I`ve a feeling MD doesn`t see polys that are facing the other way, even if they have double sided materials. Someone please put me straight if I`m wrong: I often am. :)

Hope you get it working!

R

lehcar511
04-03-2003, 06:52 AM
I definately have an exorbitant amount of polys on my character, specifically the face. I modeled the body very low polygon since it would be under the blanket, but of course, these are both part of the same object.

However, I have no tried the idea of the blanket polys facing downward. I will look into this.

I did another test last night with the previous suggestions and I still have not had luck
Thanks for you help!
-Shana

lehcar511
04-07-2003, 12:55 PM
btw- the blanket is looking pretty sweet with morphs.
motion designer just isn't working for me and I have no more time to spend on it.

Thanks so much for all your help.
-Shana

Rory_L
04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Well show us then! :)

R