PDA

View Full Version : CG crashes VT3

chrissie252
08-19-2004, 07:26 AM
hi,
when i have one *.rtv (nothing special) playing in ddr, cg crashes everything when closing it. I have to restart VT3.

there are no problems/crashes when there is no playback in ddr.
i'm running the latest patch. bandwidth about 290Mb/s.
i think the problem wasn't there with 4744.

allready reinstalled XP.

anyone with same thing/problem?
any solutions?

cheers
chris

chrissie252
08-24-2004, 08:12 AM
hi all,
just to let you know:
playback audio in ddr causes Vt3 to crash by closing CG.
obviously it is a known bug.
cheers
chrissie

Paul Lara
08-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by chrissie252
obviously it is a known bug.

This is neither obvious nor a known bug by NewTek engineering or testing; Could you please provide a detailed list of steps to reproduce this? My initial efforts to follow your description did not crash VT[3].

Thanks!

chrissie252
08-25-2004, 01:53 AM
hello paul,

these are the steps to make VT3 (sx8, rs8, latest patch) crash:
desktop 1:
open switcher, vt-vision and ddr.
set ddr to program out
add media (rtv with audio or just audio)
play in loop

now the video should appear in vt-vision

open desktop2:
open CG
type something
close CG

VT3 crashes.

sorry, but newtek europe told me that it is a known bug.

cheers
chris

nevmoor
08-26-2004, 11:23 AM
I have had many crashes involving CG and it seems that it is common.
I have resolved to use CG and preload all pages into a DDR and not use the CG in a live situation. Hopefully there will be a fix in the next update or something.

Jim_C
08-26-2004, 11:35 AM
FWIW , I just repeated the steps exactly and all is well.
No crashing.

Paul Lara
08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the additional feedback.
I also repeated your steps, twice, without incident. The CG quickly closed, and my RTV audio+video clip continued playing without skipping a beat.

I further Set the CG as a scroll page, and closed it down while it was actively scrolling, and it happily obliged.

My suspicion, Chris, is that your system is having some display difficulties.
Have you tried uninstalling your graphics card to revert to vanilla VGA settings, and then install the latest nVidia reference drivers?

chrissie252
08-27-2004, 05:11 AM
i will give it a try and let you know, thanks.
Other suggestion: maybe there is a difference between NTSC an PAL?

Paul Lara
08-27-2004, 11:30 AM
maybe there is a difference between NTSC and PAL?

There could be in the imagery or displays, but the code running CG is the same.

jday
08-28-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a Safe Harbor built computer. It is a Dual xeon 2.5g, with 1 gig of ram, 4 scsi drives stripped with windows 2000, two 19" monitors. I have upgraded to VT3 with the latest patch. I was told that this computer is strong enough to handle streaming, switching, CG, and working with VTEdit and should encounter no problems at the same time. It seems that I cannot switch, capture, run CG, 3 vt vision monitors, and DDR for a file playback for our services at the same time. I read here that there is a problem with trying to run CG in a live setup. We just now tried to run VT3 with 3 vision monitors, DDR, switcher, and audio mixer with no CG running. As we stopped playing the file in the DDR, tried adding a DVE to the switcher the system crashed. VT3 shutdown, and the output on the projector that is displaying in the church sanctuary, showed the last image as a still before it crashed.

I am running two sony DV cameras and using the DV out of the cameras to a firewire card in the computer. I have the switcher set for the Left CAM as an input to the switcher, and then the Center CAM as an input to the switcher. Could this cause a problem, using the firewire card as inputs to the switcher for both cameras?

I have had this system for two years and have not been able to run a live setup and capture since I have had video Toaster. The church paid alot of money for this system and we need some help. We are Faith Alive Church of GOD, affiliated with the General Assembly that you had a display at this year. I would like to be able to say to other churches that we are pleased with VT3, but right now I cannot say that honestly. It would seem after having the system two years that we would have some success in this. We finally had some success just using VTEdit. We put together a program for the sermon series that the Pastor has been speaking on for the last month, but then we tried playing back the edited video, VT3 crashed. It has crashed three times tonight.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. We like the concept of what the VT says that it will do, but right now it has not proven itself. We are very frustrated.

If there are any suggestions, please call me John Day at 757-285-4896 (cell), 757-485-0505 (home), or 757-485-0584 (church office)

Thanks,
John Day
Faith Alive Ministries

Jim_C
08-28-2004, 07:41 PM
I would definitely start by using one the analog outputs of your camera and not the firewire card. This is asking a lot of your system on its' own before it even starts dealing with the Toaster. Unfortunately this would mean purchasing the SX-8 BOB for multiple camera inputs.

have you uninstalled and reinstalled the Toaster software? It takes no time and can clean up problems.

You may also want to start a new thread with this post so it can get more, and the appropriate attention instead of buried in a post about CG.

Good Luck and keep posting...

Jim

jday
08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a SX-8 BOB. I have had problems with using the BOB because it caused A/V sync issues in the capture box. I noticed that the capture box goes to a video sync error. I was told that using the firewire would cause less problems. This person seemed to think that using the firewire would not put as much on the system video drives, because of the analog to digital conversion. Maybe this is because of me being a novice.

My next step was to uninstall and then reinstall VT.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
John Day

chrissie252
08-31-2004, 08:26 AM
hello,
i reinstalled XP, installed 4744 and everything worked fine.
after installing 4909 crashes.
cheers
chris

jday
08-31-2004, 09:27 AM
I believe that the firewire inputs to VT3 were causing the system to crash. When I set everything back up for analog input to the SX-8, the system did not crash.

I am going to try and see if the system will capture with analog and stay in sync with A/V with the new build 4909.

Jim Capillo
08-31-2004, 10:25 AM
I believe that the firewire inputs to VT3 were causing the system to crash. When I set everything back up for analog input to the SX-8, the system did not crash.

I am going to try and see if the system will capture with analog and stay in sync with A/V with the new build 4909.

Try pulling the card out of the system and see what happens......

eracer
09-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I can replicate the crash as described in this thread.

I have a dual-XEON 2.4, 2GB RAM, 4 x73GB U320, Supermicro P4DC6+, PNY Quadro4 980XGL. I'm running build 4909.

Another way I can get it to reliably(???) crash is:

Loop play a DDR project on one desktop. Put it on the program bus. Create a motion graphic in CG (on another desktop). Start the title in loop motion and send it to the switcher. Do not put the CG into the preview bus.

Set the DSK to key the motion title playing in CG.

When I switch to the CG desktop, the system crashes. Every time.

I know that Paul Lara has said that the OEM version of the VGA driver will crash the CG. So I tried these nVidia drivers:

Build 53.03
Build 61.76 (the most current driver)

I'm convinced that playing a motion graphic in the CG module is inherently unstable. The same graphic played as an RTV in a DDR causes no problems.