PDA

View Full Version : How to Fine Tune that bone structure problem?

markj
08-19-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi all

I've been working through some boning exercises in LW7.5c for a humanoid character I've had on the go for a while. I threw away an old bone structure I didn't have good results with, in favour of the Todd Grimes setup which is giving me good deformation.

Thing is, when it comes to deformation testing after I convert skelegons and I find a problem with just a couple of bones, is the only recourse to delete all the existing bones I've made up to then, go into modeler again & alter the skelegons? Then reconvert skelegons in layout?

I find myself going back & forth a lot here at this stage when all I wanted to do was get rid of a couple of bones & reconvert them from the amended skelegons. This was all to do with the bone lengths in the middle of one of the fingers of my model. If I shortened the middle bone (bone length) as I wanted in layout, it leaves the last one behind, creating a gap & problems. Hence my desire just to replace those last few bones from the fixed skelegons.

I tried to make sure I only made the new bones I wanted by deleting all the other skelegons from the model in modeler & saving it.

I did this but the new bones refused to distort the mesh even though they were setup & parented the same as the originals that they had replaced.

- not sure why this happens, but I gave up in the end and had to reconverted the whole skeleton from skelegons and reapply all my bone deformation compensation settings - very wasteful in time. Is it possible to add new bones this way & have them work properly?

Any better suggestions gratefully received.

Dodgy
08-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Are you using LW8? If so, there are any number of ways of altering the bones.

If you're not, you can draw bones out in layout anyway, so you can draw newones to replace the old, parent the new one (with parent in place on) to the old one's parent, and rest it. Parent any children of the old one to the new bone and delete the old one.

markj
08-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Hmmm, not too clued up in drawing out bones in Layout.

If I draw out replacement bones this way, how do I get the ends to match up exactly with the existing previous bone? It looked very hit and miss to draw them out in space and try and line them up by eye - in modeler you can weld the skelegons together so you know they are lined up properly.

Or when you draw them in layout do they extend out from the last selected bone, creating a perfect alignment, in which case I'm an idiot for not doing it that way?

markj
08-19-2004, 04:35 AM
Aha. Yes I am an idiot.
Draw child bones in Layout works perfectly - much better than reconverting the whole rig from skelegons.

With LW 8 is it possible to change the bone length of one bone in the middle of the chain and have the next one expand to take up the slack - other wise they no longer touch?

Dodgy
08-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Yup, there's joint move which performs this function, or tip move which allows you to move the tip of a bone and the hierachy below that bone.