PDA

View Full Version : Texture Problems Grass Field (non sas)

badllarma
08-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi all here my problem currently modeling a field thats about 800 m square now I've got a nice grass texture that I'm using to create the surface repeating the image over the whole field.

Close to the camera the image looks great for what I need, virtually photo realistic (which I'm not that bothered about) but as the field is on a slow incline you can see the same over the whole field and at a distance it just sucks, tilling is NOT the problem it's just the image is way to sharp for what grass looks like at a distance.

I was wondering is there away to blur the image at a certain distance from the camera to get a better look?

For a still it would be easy just to use two images one for close up one for far away but as the camera is going to be animated I'm stuck on sorting it out.

I've tried using DOF both with camera properties and the image filter both give very poor reseults what ever settings I've tried the only thing that did make for a better image was ground fog (as is smooths out the back ground colours) but I'm not really after a foggy scene :rolleyes:

any one any ideas?
Is there anyway to apply blur to an image via gradients at a cirtain distance from a camera.

advice or ideas would be of great help :)

colkai
08-19-2004, 04:33 AM
Hi Andy.
This is off the top of my head, so forgive me if it's nonsense ;)

How about using a gradient based on distance as an alpha of a blurred version of the image of grass, so with the increase of distance, if fades into the blurry version.
If we had an envelope on the texture anti-aliasing, you could use an expression on distance to the camera, but we don't. :p

If a fade to a blurred image doesn't work, how about a fade to a procedural texture grass?
Like I say, may be daft, but could be worth a shot.

badllarma
08-19-2004, 05:29 AM
cheers colkai I'll give it a go, hope the last LW meeting went welll at Kevin's :)

druitre
08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
hi,

what you suggest colkai, works fine, even if you just dissolve the texture into 'nothing' (I mean set up the base color to be the average of whatever textures you use). It's also good for bumpmaps, as they always tend to clutter up the horizon with an overload of pixelsharp noise. In fact, its good for almost every property of a 'stretch to horizon' objecttexture, lika a sea for instance where you'd even want to dissolve specularity to zero as it nears the horizon. In nature this seems to happen, think it's a property of the way light travels through air and increasingly shatters or diffuses with distance. As such, an 'atmospheric' shader or render-plugin would be useful.

success badllarma