PDA

View Full Version : i hope it's pretty nice

merlinux
04-02-2003, 06:13 AM
please tell me what u think about but be cool cause i'm a newbee ! :p

Zombat
04-02-2003, 06:49 AM
Thats pretty cool, however a couple things need help:

The resolution of the texture on the planks of wood below is a little, low... it seems too soft. I think this could be fixed if the bump map for it were a little more detailed. It seems to be lacking those tiny little pits tha make wood wood.

Also,feathers are composed of tiny smaller feathers woven together, facing outward from the main spine. Add lines or something to the bump-map going outward

Otherwise, nice job!

Mebek
04-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Just a quick nit pick -- don't get me wrong, I totally love it!

But I noticed that all the folds in the paper are bent the same way -- think about when you fold paper, in fact, take an actual sheet of paper and fold it up, and you'll see that every other fold goes the opposite direction.

Yes, the quill doesn't quite look right, and the glass of brandy (or whatever) looks a little off too. Are you using the in/out technique for proper refraction? Having a drink in the glass complicates this method somewhat too, but that might make it look better.

Like I said, though, totally love it! Very unique, and nice work on the hand and paper fringe.

groodwanderer
04-02-2003, 11:29 PM
lol cool i am a newbie as well and was thinking of doing that paper tutorial also. Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that when you hold a feather you have to hold it farther down the quill, almost to the tip. I should probably start posting stuff as well so ppl can tell me how i screwed things up :rolleyes: keep at it this could be a really nice composition.

Rory_L
04-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Hello Merlinux!

Very nice feel to this picture and I don`t see anything to criticise about the CG that hasn`t already been said. However, I could mention a couple of realism points that are going to make you groan. First, anyone who uses quill pens cuts the fletching off from almost all of the shaft, maybe leaving a little for decoration at the top tip. Second: who`s going to start writing on a piece of parchment that old and damaged??? This writer must be really hard up for cash! :D

Cheers,

R

Zarathustra
04-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Yes to all of the above.

Is this finished? Doesn't appear to be. In the future please post things you're working on in the WIP forum.

As a newbie, great start.