PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet under WINE

erk
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Can someone who has managed to get Screamernet running under WINE for FreeBSD or Linux post how they did it?

I am trying to set up a headless renderfarm, none of the machines have X11 installed and I keep getting the following error which makes me think that LWSN needs X11 and an opengl compatible setup.

err:opengl:process_attach X11DRV not loaded. Cannot create default context.
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\programs\\LWSN.exe" failed, status c0000142

mrunion
08-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Isn't there a Linux version of Scremernet?

thomey
08-18-2004, 11:15 PM
The main reason to use WINE would be that the plugin's would work as most plugins are not available in a linux version. Correct?

erk
08-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by thomey
The main reason to use WINE would be that the plugin's would work as most plugins are not available in a linux version. Correct?
Correct, the linux version I am told, has limited plugin support, otherwise I would stick with that.

Amadeus0
08-28-2004, 05:52 PM
As far as I understand WINE needs X11, not Screamernet.

erk
08-29-2004, 06:13 AM
As far as I understand WINE needs X11, not Screamernet.No, you can choose your graphics driver in WINE either x11drv, or ttydrv for running DOS programs in a console, I have tested many sucessfully. When I try and run screamernet it want's x11drv for some reson as per the error message I posted above, and I can't figure out why as it's a console program.

Alliante
08-31-2004, 12:57 PM
It's not technically a DOS program, it's a Win32 Console program. Due to the fact it calls the Win32 Library I'd imagine that WINE flags the fact that ScreamerNet is a Windows Program and calls for the X11 driver.

Now I could be completely wrong here how WINE handles Windows Console Apps (I don't use WINE or Linux), but this seems like a logical explanation. :D

Riplakish
09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Erk,
Did you ever get an answer/it working. I have a handful of WinXP/FreeBSD boxes, and I'm interested in going the same route, as I want to pull in my office resources for those really hefty renders, and they're all FreeBSD. :rolleyes:

If you haven't, I'll take a crack at it, and see how far I can get. I assume you're looking to get LWSN.EXE running as an end node? Or are you trying to get a controller working, as well?

erk
09-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Erk,
Did you ever get an answer/it working. I have a handful of WinXP/FreeBSD boxes, and I'm interested in going the same route, as I want to pull in my office resources for those really hefty renders, and they're all FreeBSD. :rolleyes:

If you haven't, I'll take a crack at it, and see how far I can get. I assume you're looking to get LWSN.EXE running as an end node? Or are you trying to get a controller working, as well?
Still trying to solve, it. I have several FreeBSD boxen that I wan't to run LWSN on under wine, but they don't have monitors so X11 was pointless. I am happy to install a minimal set of X11 libraries on each machine to get the show on the road if someone can tell me which ones are required?

erk
09-28-2004, 07:54 PM
After further testing LWSN.exe under wine does not want to run unless X11 is running, else you get a x11drv: Can't open display: error message.

This probably rules out wine as a renderfarm solution on blade servers.

The linux version of LWSN does not seem to require a GUI to be running.

dsol
04-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Has anyone tried running LWSN in 64bit mode using Wine 64? Any issues?

SteveH
04-14-2013, 08:28 AM
I prefer to use Screamernet with BEER.....
sorry....I'm go back to drinking now.... ;-)

dulo
04-14-2013, 02:45 PM
We use screamer on wine64 for about a year now without any issues. TurbulenceFD has an issue with wine but the whole screamer thing with all other plugins works fine and even faster than on windows .
We use gentoo as our linux base ..