PDA

View Full Version : Read a DIC DAT CBU from Flyer on a PC?

tonsofpcs
08-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I have a DIC///DAT CBU Data Cartridge [backup tape] made using a Flyer with a SONY SDT-9000 "Digital Data Storage" drive. I still have the same drive, and can put it in the PC I want to read the data on, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone knows [or has an idea] if it is possible to read a cartridge written on the flyer on a PC with Windows XP. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

kleima
08-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Unfortunatley, no. I have the exact same drive and wanted to do the same thing when I migrated to the PC. Newtek told that they do not have a way for Flyer files to be read by the PC based Toaster.
But, you eventually forget about those projects and finally don't really miss them, after enough years go by.
It IS worth the upgrade despite the loss of archives!
:(

tonsofpcs
08-19-2004, 01:40 PM
kleima:
You can convert the flyclips using aura. The question I am asking is if windows can read the data/filesystem on the tape.
Currently, we are using the network to transfer data from the Amiga, but we would prefer 'restoring' directly to the pc.

kleima
08-20-2004, 12:08 PM
I did not know that Aura could convert. I guess I must have asked Newtek about this for VT[1], before there was Aura.
I don't know if the PC would recognize the files, but my guess is that it would not.
It would probably be something like trying to have Windows read an Amiga formatted floppy. It would probably say unable to read, or something like that. But, try it. It doesn't take much to get that drive working on Window. I believe Windows have a built in driver for it and you don't even have to install a driver.

kleima
08-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Whille you may be able to convert clips with Aura, I'm pretty sure that there is no way to import an entire project in the VT.