PDA

View Full Version : REF animation

pazur
08-18-2004, 09:27 AM
Hello,

I have finally put online my latest short animation REF. It took 3 years (not continuous work) and a couple of LW revisions ;) to finish it but I'm very happy I'm done with this project. All animation was keyframed manually within LW.

Visit new REF's site for download links, some stills from movie and a few behind the scenes pics:

http://www.ref-movie.com

I hope You enjoy it!

danilo
08-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Great.Congratulations,VERY profesional work.
That's all I can say.
danilo

Lightwolf
08-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi Lukasz,

wow, very cool look, and extremely great animation. And the music rocks too.

I find it a bit exhausting to watch after the first couple of secs (I guess I'm too old with 33 ;) ), and I'd wish for a bit more light in some areas.

Other than that (subjective) criticism, very well done, top notch work ! :cool:

Cheers,
Mike

Trawler
08-18-2004, 10:29 AM
I too think it is fantastic work. The animation, cinematography and music are nothing short of outstanding. But the editing confuses me. The cuts and flashes to black seem unmotivated most of the time, and it's almost like you're trying to hide problems in the animation.

I've seen your work on your website: the animation, rigs, and modeling are tremendous. I don't think there is any reason to hide so much of your great work with editing.

Anyway, as Lightwolf said, this is subjective criticism, and I hope constructive. You've done a great job with this project. Congratulations!!:D

trick
08-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Was a little shocked you did this in LW only, but after reading you used your ACS I feel more comfortable....

Good work...3 years:so much discipline:cool:

hrgiger
08-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by trick
Was a little shocked you did this in LW only, but after reading you used your ACS I feel more comfortable....

Well, it was still all done in Lightwave. ACS is made up of existing Lightwave tools.

Great work Lukasz. REF was one of my favorite animations (from your trailers) and you've definately taken it to another level with your finished animation. Congrats on finishing a project. I'm going to have to do that one of these days...

trick
08-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
...ACS is made up of existing Lightwave tools...

I don't think Lukasz (and many other people including me) sees it this black & white:)

pazur
08-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all kind words!

As for black "holes" in movie, yeah, I do know about them. The thing is production was soo long and rather poorly prepared (I had little exprience when I was starting back in 2001) that I had to change many things that I should not change in later stages of production. I learnt a lot this way but it had its side effects in the movie.
Generally, those black parts had a purpose in original script but well, they turned out a bit to be a places that are indeed hiding bad things, much of them were left because of time constraints (i didn't want to go forever with this project ;).
I'd make it different way if I was starting today but that's something for next project ;)

Indeed, ACS doesn't introduce any new character animation tools for LW, it's entirely based on what is available in "raw" LW, it just does some of the job automatically for You but it uses standard commands and options. That is also true for next plugin...

I would call my plugins "workflow optimizers" ;)

veljko
08-18-2004, 12:34 PM
excellent!
i see you know your way around aikido? i saw some techniques i recognized:)
the atmosphere, the modeling and the animating are fantastic!
the black/out of focus/edditing is a bit strain on the eye and if i would change something it would be it that area-

awesome work brother..
:)

Rion411
08-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Kick A**!! Wicked animation!

miso popovic
08-19-2004, 06:00 AM
great work, i love the camera movement and the positioning, great directoring!

MacDaddyKash
08-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Amazing video. I love crazy fight scenes. I hope to get to your level some day. One thing that did bother me though was the flashing lights. I know it's improbable but I would love to see it lit the entire time so we could see every amazing move in it's entirety. Again, awesome movie.

P.S. hehe, I actually used your tutorials on your old site when making an animation a couple months ago.