PDA

View Full Version : WAYYYY off topic, but no where to turn

mwh710
08-17-2004, 09:28 PM
I use Netscape 7.0. I have tried to update, use Mozilla, Firebird, etc, but every time I try to open any Netscape program based on Mozila I get an crash & it says Mozilla-bin has unexpectedly quit. I run 10.3.5, but it has been doing this for a while. Would really like to upgrade - any suggestions?

Beamtracer
08-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by mwh710
Would really like to upgrade - any suggestions? Not sure what you mean. If you're having trouble with your Netscape, why don't you upgrade it? You're using 7.0. The current version is 7.2. Maybe the new one is better.

mwh710
08-18-2004, 06:50 AM
Everytime I upgrade it crashes and I get the Mozilla-bin application has unexpectatly crashed. That's my problem, I can't use anything over Netscape 7.0. I hate IE & several of my sites Safari won't work on.

Ge4-ce
08-18-2004, 01:09 PM
do you update it via an updater in netscape itself? I don't use netscape, so I don't know how it updates. But what I mean is: Maybe just delete everything you find about netscape in your computer, and then do a clean fresh install of 7.2

don't forget about deleting the preferences, etc.

Also: Don't forget to backup your sites and info..

paulhart
08-18-2004, 01:57 PM
I had used Netscape since 4.0 until the infamous 6.0AOL transition, it wasn't until 6.2 that it would even run. I moved on to Mozilla, open source 7.2, which is currently very stable, has all of the familar look-&-feel of Netscape without the AOL bells&whistles (read "ads"), is fast, but does have some variations on some pages with I.E. since I maintain both on system to cross browse my website development projects. It will transfer all of your Netscape mail and settings seamlessly, though you may want to uninstall Netscape before install (read their FAQ's closely) I have been very pleased with the email client, and browser and routinely recommend it to clients with good results. AOL may be ready to dump Netscape altogether soon since it has gotten the "traffic/referral eyeballs" it bought when it bought the company. Mozilla is open source, a direction that I support I believe is part of the future. Good luck.
Paul

mwh710
08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Problem is, Mozilla, Firebird etc all get the same "Mozilla-bin" application has unexpectantly quit message.

tingham
08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Problem is, Mozilla, Firebird etc all get the same "Mozilla-bin" application has unexpectantly quit message.

So "Trash Preferences"

mwh710
08-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Tried trashing prefs, In fact did a Find & trashed everything & started fresh. Still does it. Now, the last thing in the "log" that gets sent to apple, is that Application Enhancers ran. Don't know if it helps.

tingham
08-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Tried trashing prefs, In fact did a Find & trashed everything & started fresh. Still does it. Now, the last thing in the "log" that gets sent to apple, is that Application Enhancers ran. Don't know if it helps.

These "enhancers" have been known to cause kernel panics and at the very least moderate malfunctions within the system.

If it is a detrement at all to you, is it really worth running? I've paid for every single Unsanity app that's come out, and I still don't run them to this day because they patch portions of the kernel, or input managers, and just interrupt what well-behaving apps do normally.

Just disable the APE manager by moving it away from your library set. Alternatively, create a new user account and see if you can get mozilla running that way.