PDA

View Full Version : Env: Caves

oblivion
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
heya all,
This is a render of the first location for a game in the style of myst/riven I'm working on, probably something will change on it in future.
Crits welcome!:)

erroLux
08-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Hey oblivion,

Great pic.
My idea is that the lighting is not really "consistent", like inside the cave it should be darker (shadows) and everything is rather "gray".
Somehow the lighting does not do it for me (sorry!).

But maybe that is the intention?

Greets...

oblivion
08-18-2004, 06:54 AM
that's a good point :) the lighting is somewhat "heavy" I wanted a gloomy cloudy like lighting..the problem is that with this kind of setup you need very smooth and non defined shadows, that's why it give the idea there is not enough contrast..and also there is that red light that brighten the shadow futher :(

marble_sheep
08-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Great texture! Is it painted and uv mapped or is that a procedural. If procedural, could you share your settings? That is very believable rock.

veljko
08-18-2004, 05:42 PM
looks cool- i have the same question about the rock?- how did you make it?

if it was me, i would put a bloody red moon in the top left corner of the image-
:)

oblivion
08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
the rock is a mix of tiling image maps, there is no UV, all cubic projections.

I've tried a night version just as a test:

johnnyh66
08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I think the rock looks a little to shiney and there's some banding goning on at the mouth of the cave.
I do like the feel of the night pic.

Dodgy
08-20-2004, 02:59 AM
That's better, the first picture didn't seem to have shadows, (the skulls were too light in their eye sockets) but that looks better. Not too keen on the sky though...

androidmaker
08-23-2004, 02:21 AM
it looks like a lava tube or a realy big burnt out log. but i like it! if it is cool lava it would be a bit shiney.