PDA

View Full Version : Whats the hardest to model/animate?

Jim_C
08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I really, really, really get a kick out of seeing all the work you Lightwave guys produce. It is awe inspiring and motivational.

One thing I have always wonderd.
What is the most difficult thing to recreate.

I know there are probably 2 categories depending on whether it is just a model or if animated, but what is the really tough stuff?

Faces, Humans walking, hair, fire, water, grass?? Organic things in general? etc...

thanks for taking the time to read

Jim

:cool:

harlan
08-17-2004, 03:54 PM
In general, I find the "Cube" to be the hardest item to replicate. When to use sharp corners, rounded corners, how many sgements, etc... ;)

Bending things is tough as well. I mean how much should you bend? 30 degrees, 32 degrees.........31??

teehehe

WilliamVaughan
08-17-2004, 07:22 PM
I find organic models to be much easier to model then mechanical but others would say the opposite....it really depends on the artist IMHO.

object
08-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Recreating liscensed material with no reference, or movie properties know one, but the movie studio, has seen!

badllarma
08-18-2004, 12:38 AM
A director wanting a totally photo realistic 3D set designed on two sheets of A4 paper that he was "not quiet sure on the final look" except it had to be well lit:rolleyes:

And apart from the two sheets of paper he drew on no other reference material was given.

Needless to say after 4 weeks of modeling work it still was not the "look" he wanted :(
I think the final version ended up being very dark and foggy with very little of the set shown :rolleyes: Not done by myself. (My original suggestion to get away with a full screen 3D set with a VERY low budget )

-----------------------

2nd one is modeling a character from one image! (a side view) Ended up sitting the artist at the side of me as I modeled to get the job done :)

faulknermano
08-18-2004, 02:00 AM
it would be water for me. takes a some time with any particle system. behaviors must be simulated by getting reference materials. lots of wind effectors, lots of groups, lots of emitters at different locations and lots of hypervoxel settings for each of those emitters (no two are alike most of the time).

Librarian
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
According to many master animators, realistic horses are one of the hardest things to animate.

Igu4n4
08-18-2004, 03:32 PM
ya I'm going to have to agree with the above.. fluids are very tricky to get looking right. Well realistic that is. The properties of water are so diverse dependant on situation it introduces so many variables you have to consider. And getting those variables to behave is quite the magic trick.

Fluid dynamics wru!

Steve

somnambulance
08-18-2004, 07:27 PM
I think the hardest things to model are the ones you dont want to do.

CB_3D
08-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Organic "freeform" models are the easiest for me, for example toons and to a certain degree maybe even humans.

However, my main buiseness is architectural previs, and while easy to model, from a technical POV (mostly boxes and booleans), itīs the hardest to get into for me.

I guess thatīs because i always prefer to model my own ideas over preplanned stuff from other people.

The typical artistīs dilemma...thatīs not to say Iīm a great artist, but i think you get my point :-)

CB_3D
08-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Haha, somnambulance, You managed to say what i meant with less words!

Jim_C
08-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the answers folks.
Much more esoteric then expected but considering the source...
;)

Jim

It is always hardest to do that which we choose not to.

Hervé
08-20-2004, 10:50 AM
the hardest...? someone taking a shower in a transparent vynil outfit..... hummmm oh... and singing "Anarchy in the UK" from the Sex Pistols.. he he....:D ;)

Lightwolf
08-20-2004, 11:53 AM
I'd say... the hardest stuff is the stuff youhave never done before and no experience with ;)

Cheers,
Mike