PDA

View Full Version : Scene file sizes (or what the...?!?!?)

EmperorPete
08-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Last night I finished setting up a scene for an animation I'm working on. It's a fairly simple setup - a series of corridors, one lift, all lit with point lights, and a camera moving along the corridors. I saved the scene, and couldn't help but notice thatit took almost 15 minutes to save. I thought that was more than a little worrying, especially with the recent problems I'd had with Lightwave 8 crashing a lot (as I detailed in another thread in this forum, a few threads down).
So I looked at the file in Windows Explorer, and found to my surprise that it is over 2Gb in size...!
What on EARTH?
I have never seen a scene file that big in my life. Normally my scenes are MUCH smaller, even for setups far more complex.
Can anybody think of any reason why all of a sudden my files are so gargantuan? The opbjects used in the scene total less than 30Mb on their own, so something is clearly amiss here.

EmperorPete
08-17-2004, 08:42 AM
I just started the scene file loading, and went off to make a coffee. When I got back, the "loading scene" window was showing the last activity at 16%, after 535 seconds. Ouch. It's still in the loading setting and plugins stage, so I'm wondering if there's a plugin I don't know about taking up all the space, perhaps. I'll uninstall any 3rd party plugins, and see if it asks for any when I load the scene.
Incidentally, the thread about my previous LW hassles, is here:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26382

EmperorPete
08-17-2004, 09:18 AM
I think I found the problem; and it WAS a plugin problem.
I built the final scene up using objectrs loaded in from other smaller scenes;and somehow, each of those other scenes has at least 30 instances of the Spreadsheet editor on it. I'd never even USED the spreadsheet editor on them.
Has anyone else ever seen this before...?

toby
08-17-2004, 02:37 PM
I've seen that before but never to that magnitude!

jeffb
08-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I know this is an old thread, but IMHO this is a pretty severe bug, so I thought I'd put my two cents in.
I also was noticing a severe slowdown in both loading and saving a scene file in L8. Then I noticed that the size of the scene file was rather large (65 Megs). Then I noticed that there are 4 instances of the scene editor in the master plugins list. I removed those and saved again and my file size is now 25K!
Two questions 1) Is there any downside to removing the scene editor from the plugin list? 2) Why would this occur in the first place? It doesn't happen in the "classic" editor. I'm not choosing "instance" to open the new scene editor. And I'm not loading or removing objects.
This "bug" is making files so large its crashes my system. It seems like an awkward way to work, having to remove these extraneous plugins everytime I use the new sccene editor.
Thanks,
Jeff Baker
Dancing Bear Graphics

EmperorPete
08-18-2004, 12:51 PM
That's exactly what happened with my scene, Jeff; it seems that every time I opened the spreadsheet editor, another instance[ was added. This, to my mind, is a real problem; I'd spent quite a while building up that scene, and I couldn't load it again after that. Once Lightwave had spent over 15 minutes (!?!?!?) loading what must have worked out to be over 600 spreadsheet editors, there wasn't enough memory left to load the objects, or even to run Lightwave. And so it crashed. I had to redo the entire scene, thus costing me time I couldn't really afford.
I mentioned this to Ben Vost, and he's put me on the track for the Lean Clean Scene Machine, a plugin that will apparently strip all these instances out of a scene file. Does anyone know where it can be found? It's not up on Flay.com from what I can see, so I don't know much about it.

Silkrooster
08-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Perhaps you guys are onto something here. What if this is the cause of some of the crashes people have been experiancing? I know I never looked to see how many instances of a plugin was being used. I am sure others have not either. I wonder if it is possible for these to be added while you work rather than during the saving process. For example when loading objects from other scenes. There is no reason why LW does not check for multiple instances of plugins, lights, cameras, objects, etc. Lw should be able to on its own find other occurances that are not in use and remove them, or at least prompt the end user of them and ask if they should be removed.
hmmm.... Makes you wonder.
Silk

JMarc
08-18-2004, 08:23 PM
I came across the same problem today. I lost count of how many instances of Window Configure there were in the Master Plugins list. I think it was related to my having opened and closed the Scene Editor multiple times with the same scene open.

The most unfortunate side-effect of this bug-like behaviour is that scenes in which one has opened the Spreadsheet Editor or the new Scene Editor will crash ScreamerNet every time.

As for Lean Clean Scene Machine, I have it and it does work. You can find it on Flay.com here:

http://www.flay.com/getnewsdetail.cfm?ID=960

or on the original site, here:

http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=layout

I still clean my scene files manually. Just my preference.

jeffb
08-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the links. I'll definitely use this plugin to solve this issue.
Since removing plugins such as this scenes load/save much faster and seems less prone to the mysterious LW memory crashes.
Again thanks for the links.
Don't mean to beat up on the dev team (they've done an overall great job), but this issue seems basic. I mean, what is the purpose of retaining the multiple instances of scene editor? Why wasn't this noted before release (the difference in file size, with/without plugins are enormous)? Is there a down side to constantly removing these plugins?

EmperorPete
08-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the links, JMarc. I'll give them a look :)
I don't see any downside with removing the scene editors altogether before saving; surely once you have applied any changes, it's no longer required. I might be wrong, but since all this first happened I have habitually removed all instances (yes, they have been coming back) before saving, with no detrimental effects whatsoever.
To be honest I was amazed to see the difference in filesize that just having a plugin in a scene like this can make; it should definitely be looked at for a future relase, perhaps, or at least mentioned in the release notes. I was convinced I had screwed LW up somehow, and after all the problems I'd had recently I was pretty much beside myself by the time I worked out what it was.

Triple G
08-21-2004, 12:31 AM
It's a bit disheartening to see that this Spreadsheet Editor bug still exists in LW8. I think it first reared its ugly head in 7 or 7.5, where doing a Load Items from Scene would cause multiple instances of the spreadsheet to be loaded as a Master Plugin.

Does anyone know if the Spreadsheet/LWSN bug has been fixed in 8? That one annoys the S%!& out of me, as every time I want to send something to network render, I have to open the scene in Wordpad and strip out the lines referring to the Spreadsheet and then resave it. Otherwise, LWSN either hangs and won't render the scene or crashes outright. :mad: