PDA

View Full Version : Read a Good Book Lately...

pvillotti
08-17-2004, 07:55 AM
....now I know product endorsement is against the rules, so if my question violates that then just yank it off (I will not be offended.)

Question is....which book do you recommend to a newbie. There are so many and I don't wanna spend a couple hundred dollars on books trying to find the right one.

Help?

:cool:

Jim_C
08-17-2004, 08:06 AM
I bet some kind LW folks will respond with a suggestion or two, but not nearly as many as using the search function would find you.

I have seen those guys yack it up quite a bit about books and vids.

(just don't bother using words of 2 letters or less in the search engine... like LW) harumph!!!

:p
Jim

mattclary
08-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by pvillotti
....now I know product endorsement is against the rules

Your question doesn't fall into that category, as JimC insinuates, this is a common question, and searching would do you well, but I'll cut you some slack...

Inside LightWave and LightWave applied are great. Also, go to Amazon.com and search for LightWave. You can read reviews at Amazon.com

pvillotti
08-21-2004, 05:10 PM
For any of u newbies out there..

..I purchased the LW 3d Quick Start Guide...

IMHO it is good for getting you going...the rest you'll have to learn by tutoria, other books, spending hours doing itl and picking the brains of others...

but in hind sight...I think every publication clicks with different people. I learn by doing and then learning why it did it and what I can do with what it does.

:D

Mipmap
08-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Right now I'm reading "CGI FilmMaking The Creation of Ghost Warrior" by Timothy Albee

I'm about halfway into it, and any time he seems about to get into something, he just refers me to one of his other two books.:confused:

pvillotti
08-22-2004, 07:14 PM
ya..I fell for that one too..but only on his web site not the book you're reading

Though I must say..I have "Essential Lightwave" he wrote and (after I went through the book I mentioned in my previous post) hi book made more sense and ended up working well. At first nothing seemed to click for me and I was getting frustrated. I think you need to know your way around LW before you attempt Albee's books.

Again..its all about how you learn.

:P