PDA

View Full Version : Bump map problem

OldLeakyPipes
08-16-2004, 10:24 PM
I'm having this weird problem with the bump map on a ball in a short animation I'm working on. I have a texture on my ball in the color channel, and the same texture on the bump channel. When I stretch and squash my ball, the color texture stretches with it, while the bump map keeps its original position and scale. I want the bump map to stretch with the color map.

I am manipulating my ball via 3 nulls, one for trans, one for scale, one for rotation, the trans null being at the top of the heirarchy, and at the bottom of the heirarchy is the ball that just goes along for the ride. In the attached images, all that I've done is adjusted the squash on the scale null.

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I'm new here, so hopefully I figured out how to attach the image correctly.

Triple G
08-16-2004, 10:58 PM
any chance you might've accidentally turned on world coordinates for the bump channel's texture?

OldLeakyPipes
08-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Nope, world coordinates is turned off. When I was trying to fix the problem, I tried turning world coordinates on, but that made it much worse.

Triple G
08-17-2004, 01:27 AM
I don't know....I'm at a loss. I tried to recreate your problem, and I can't. It works exactly as expected here.

Triple G
08-17-2004, 01:28 AM
here's the normal ball:

Triple G
08-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Here's the scene/object files I used...if they don't work for you, then something screwy is definitely going on here.

OldLeakyPipes
08-17-2004, 02:40 AM
I downloaded your scene, and sure enough, it worked like its suppoed to. When I was checking the image map properties you had set, I wrote down what you had for the different settings, and when I cross checked them with mine, I found that I had mine set to spherical image map, while yours was planar. D'oh! That pretty much solved my problem. Thanks for the help. Here is my fixed version (with an improved texture).

OldLeakyPipes
08-17-2004, 03:39 AM
Hey, now I'm having a different problem. Now I'm getting a weird blurring at the seams of my image...which is weird, because I checked my source, and it tiles perfectly. I guess this is why I had it set to spherical in the first place...it doesn't get this blurring. Anyone have a solution?

Triple G
08-17-2004, 02:47 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say check the parameters for image width and height, and if they're set to repeat, reset, stretch or mirror. Try changing these and see if a different setting helps.