PDA

View Full Version : News not on NewTek website

AntAT
08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
http://digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=27324

IBM-dual AMD opteron system with VT[3] and 2GB/sec fiber channel Raid!!!!!

ScorpioProd
08-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Imagine what 500MB/s would be good for...

sbrandt
08-16-2004, 11:42 PM
I guess that puts to rest any questions of how brother Andrew and the rest of the Cross team feel about AMD systems.

Now I want to know WHAT CHIPSET the A-Pro uses.

Heck, I'll bet at 550MB per sec. Windoze would almost be a decent OS.

UnCommonGrafx
08-17-2004, 05:49 AM
So, umm, Eugene,
How's that light at the end of the tunnel lookin'? Kinda bright, huh?!

bwhahahahaha

Mad numbers.

Edit: Hey Dan, How many SD streams can you get on that box?! You might be home from LA by now...

Lightwolf
08-17-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by sbrandt
Now I want to know WHAT CHIPSET the A-Pro uses.

Well, due to a lack of choices, probably the AMD chipset?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_739_9004,00.html

I remember reading an article on the A-Pro, and they don't use the nVidia chipset which, afaik, only IWill use in a dual CPU set-up.

There are rumours that nVidia will release a new pro Opteron chipset soon though (partly using AMD parts).

It seems that Hypertransport can allow for a nice mix'n'match of components.

Cheers,
Mike

AntAT
08-17-2004, 11:46 AM

UnCommonGrafx
08-17-2004, 02:55 PM
AntAT,
You haven't seen some of the edits I've seen! ;)

Your point is well made but don't overlook what the new trend could be with this type of speed. Awesome possibilities under such a paradigm.

sbrandt
08-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks Wolfie.
Nicely on point as usual.

---------------
As an aside; Do you think SUPERMICRO will ever get off the Intel dime?
Do you expect to see an Opteron board in their lineup, soon or ever?

AntAT
08-17-2004, 11:56 PM

UnCommonGrafx
08-18-2004, 05:21 AM
AntAT,
Agreed. There is work to be done before it's where I'd like it, for sure. And for sure, Eugene wants those improvements, too.

Modern NLEs are compositor/editors, such that the line has been blurred into oblivion. VTEdit feels like it would be a great compositor. Mayhaps we'll find out one day.

And yes, workgroup editing would be a godsend with such a beast.

But honestly, I have seen crazy edits like that.

AntAT
08-18-2004, 12:06 PM

AntAT
08-18-2004, 12:12 PM
UnCommonGrafx,
I am interested if you could please explain one of the crazy edits you have seen. Just for Reference.

Jim_C
08-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by AntAT
2. A request that I have already emailed Newtek, is to be able to highlight a section in VT-Edit, right-click on the selection and choose Aura Import. This would then load Aura with the layers and duration intact from VT-Edit, and save a project file. You could then do whatever you want in Aura and when you are done be able to hit a magic button that would take the selection right back into VT-Edit where it belongs. Now when you are back in VT-Edit you could have a single clip from Aura, in the VT-Edit timeline, that you could just click on to open Aura and make further changes. Kind of like a Subproject to Aura type feature.

niiiiice....

:cool:

Tim Johnson
08-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Great idea. Kind of similar to the cut/paste between Premiere Pro and After Effects.

ScorpioProd
08-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Nothing would make better sense, we should be as integrated as an Adobe suite.

UnCommonGrafx
08-18-2004, 03:53 PM
well,
I've seen one where there where approximately 50 pieces of imagery that floated around (avi and rtv) to form a video wall that then broke of and made a 'string' of that wall and then flew off screen. It was a nightmarish post, and I am thankful I got to participate.

It wasn't realtime, to say the least.

Originally posted by AntAT
UnCommonGrafx,
I am interested if you could please explain one of the crazy edits you have seen. Just for Reference.

AntAT
08-18-2004, 05:00 PM

UnCommonGrafx
08-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Chuckle...

GOD YES!!!! to integration

I've made my feelings quite clear on that point, as others are starting to. They have some really nice IP at their disposal at the moment; a moment to step back to see how it can all now be integrated into a complete whole would be quite beneficaial, if implemented well.

As to the edit, it turned out really nice. It was a proof of concept work that made the cut, as it were, made up of pieces from anywhere and many programs. Assembled in VTEdit, and a few other apps like Aura/then Mirage and DFX. But the VTEdit was the more intriguing one as the process was enjoyable. ToolShed is capable but no where near the maturity of the lw code and management of splinage; why not integrate them?

If you want to do this in mirage, talk to Steve Bowie about some things he's working on.

{Oh my, that's large. I like. :D }

ScorpioProd
08-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Don't stop at just LW, Aura and VT-Edit...

Remember, we have a CG, too...

And PowerCG+ integrated better with Speed Razor than CG currently does with VT-Edit!

Though our motto is "TV-Studio-In-A-Box", not "Integrated-TV-Studio-In-A-Box."

AntAT
08-21-2004, 01:34 PM

Rich Deustachio
08-23-2004, 04:22 PM
I posted way back many moons ago that NewTek should combine the power of Lightwave into it's editing system. Haven't seen it yet or hears anything is in the works to do so. I wonder if one department talks to another at NewTek? Seems to me it would make it a much more attractive system if this were to happen and could blow away Avid and FCP if it were done. I use to believe that NewTek was designed by and for video users but lately I get the feeling they are losing sight of what the end user needs in today's market.