PDA

View Full Version : DSK from an outside firewire source

J_Camp
08-16-2004, 06:50 PM
I posted a problem on keying an outside source for my CG in a live production a few months ago. I know VT[3] can't accept another analog outside source, but can it accept a firewire one?

If I scan convert to DV and send it in through firewire, can I then key PowerPoint over the video so my CG guy and my Tech Director don't have to fight over the keyboard and mouse?

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/TwinPact100/pm_TwinPact100.asp (Canopus TwinPact100 Firewire scan converter)

bradl
08-17-2004, 01:05 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think you have control over the key in the DSK so DV without an Alpha channel will not key. If you could find a way to add alpha to DV then it would work. I look everywhere for such a solution and no one ever heard of that, except that BobT had developed a codec of some sort for Premier that could include alpha. But getting a hardware device to send it through does not exist AFAIK.

J_Camp
08-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Brad.

Could it work by sending the output of one NLE computer running Premiere out through firewire into VT3 and using the storyboard view in Premiere to key, sending only keys through with alpha on track 2 or higher? If this would work, then it would take care of the sharing the keyboard and mouse issue for my CG guy and Director.

Thoughts?

P.S. Where would I get the codec from?

bradl
08-18-2004, 08:32 AM
I have no idea. From what I remember, the codec would allow alpha (32-bit) files to be written as DV. Getting that to pass out in real-time... I doubt it. Bob Tasa is the developer and only he could comment on any of this further. I will get him to come over and join the conversation.

With all the many requests for external DSK support, something like this should be developed. Obviously, VT3 can handle internally the Video and Alpha in the DSK as demostrated with the LW and Aura support. If someone could figure out how to input an outside signal with alpha to DSK, that would solve the delimma. Aura or Mirage can accept certain input signals and pass them through to the DSK so maybe there is a solution there. Contact Bauhaus to see if they support any cards that have alpha input. They are adding support for new cards all the time.

Bobt
08-18-2004, 08:45 AM
J_Camp,
No it wont work that way. You wont get a clean key.
Doesnt matter what you do I/O with.
You have sparked an idea in me though, let ya know after
I do some research.

Bob