PDA

View Full Version : Same Question New Forum...

Videocool
08-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Hey Guys...

I've basically only used Lightwave for LOGO's and what have you
since the AMIGA came out...

Now I'm playing with Bones for the first time...

I have lots of Manuals, Dan Ablan books, New Riders, etc., ...

So now the question...

I've been playing with the Mutant Frog Leg scene...

and the Moves scene... (just bones)...

Ok so far ... If I REPLACE the BODY object in the Moves scene with another object (something simple)... it gets all distorted...
so I go through and reduce the Strength in the bones activation Panel.. the object retains it basic shape but then the bones don't have much effect .... (other than just dragging the object all around the screen)

So how do I get the Moves.lws to work with a stick figure, much less something more complicated...

Sorry for repeating the question here... I tried the Tips and Tricks Forum, but didn't get an answer after a few days... I hope this is the right forum...

Thanks Steve

P.S. Hey to Chuck and Paul.

wingwalker
08-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Hi

Have you set up any weight maps for the new object and assigned them to your bones?

Videocool
08-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Hey Wingwalker...

Thanks for getting back...

No... I haven't tried using weights... I have tried using limited range...

and Multiplying strength by length...

and Falloff...

when I click on the weight map icon ... it says my only choice is "None"

Another problem I'm running into is weird deformations of the object... most of the main body of the object seems to behave... but a few polygons seem to get stretched all out of shape... despite using a tiny limited range on the few bones that are active... The Polygons are all tripled in Modeler...

I am still at a total loss on using bones... I've invested at least a week or two in this attempt... I'm missing something big time...

Thanks again...

Steve

wingwalker
08-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi

OK... the best free character setup/ bones tutorial I am aware of is "Froggyplats Infamous Complete Rigging Tutorials!".

These can be found and downloaded at 3D-Palace (http://www.3D-palace.com). Goto "tutorials" then "free tutorials" then "lightwave".

Download all the stuff and have a watch of it....it should explain everything to you.

Even if it doesnt give you all the knowledge you are after it should give you a VERY good grounding to start off on and the confidence to expriment.

Good luck

Rob T

Videocool
08-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks again wingwalker...

I'll give it a look... I've posted again, up above... I'm Just at a total loss...

Thanks, Steve:rolleyes:

toby
08-18-2004, 09:25 PM
This is confusing to everyone to learn. Just do as many tutorials as you can and you'll get it. Doing a Google search for 'lightwave tutorials' will yield dozens.
But you should know - weight maps and limited range are not absolutely neccessary, try learning bones without them at first: leave falloff at 128.

Videocool
08-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks Guys..

The tutorial at 3d-Palace... great... thanks wingwalker...

I'm going to give it a break for awhile...

Animation is too addicting...

Steve