View Full Version : Vt4 ?

08-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Don't want to push anybody, but is there any official word about a VT4 release at this time? I'm on the verge of purchasing a new VT workstation with all the bells and whistles since my budget started on July 1. Now that I've missed the boat on all the incentives and specials that end in June as usual, I'm rather paranoid of purchasing at a time when my money is available such as now. Of course the longer I delay a purchase on a VT system, the less likely it is I'll end up getting one. I would love to have taken advantage of the PEG bundle, but I guess that's over. So now I've gotta ask for some particulars on the new version I understand is looming for release in September.

Is this software only, and when would I be purchasing the new version? Last thing I want is to purchase another system again after the incentives have expired and then have to pay for another software upgrade right on the heels of it because I purchased a bit too early. Any insight available?

08-16-2004, 11:22 AM
J, I don't know any specifics either, but my only suggestion is to get the fastest Hardware available to date. (That's a given in the industry. Even VT3 has added a lot of processing needs to our systems.

Check me on this, but PC Express seems to be needed for some of the newer hardware like the HUGE SYSTEMS external drives which were boasting well over 200 mbs at RAID 3 recently.
It might help with anything new on the horizon, but I'd check with Paul or Andrew for specifics.

08-16-2004, 11:33 AM
It would be nice if different budget cycles could be recognized. Perhaps a "rain check" could be issued with an extended end date? Too much has been put into holding off equipment introductions 'till NAB. If you have something hot and it's ready to go, I wish manufacturers would just put it out there. In addition, there are some of us who get a small window of opportunity for capital spending in the fall. In the past several years, I was able to spend up to six figures before Dec. 31st for various reasons. I've made some killer purchases from manufactuers' trying to pump up their sales before the end of the year.

08-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Too much has been put into holding off equipment introductions 'till NAB

What is shown at NAB is not even available for a couple of months a lot of the time, if ever. As Newtek has discovered it can be a bad thing to tip your hand while still developing because things change and sometimes take longer to program than originally planned and all you end up doing is answering the phone telling people it will be ready when it's ready.


Jim Capillo
08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
For those that have odd times for equipment purchases, timing RFP's to delivery can bite big time. I've had to pass on several preferred pieces just because the money had to be spent (and delivered) by a certain time.

Will a delayed paper transaction work for you?

08-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes a delayed system has worked several times. It just depends how "critical" the need is. I've purchased equipment in Nov. for delivery as late as Feb. the following year. It's all a matter of buyer and seller being able to work together to meet each parties needs. I remember one case where I purchased in the upper 5 figures, three graphic platforms from Pinnacle. I received the latest software at delivery, at "year-end" let's make our budget before Dec 31st prices! We were able to spend the money while we had it, and start the write-off process. It was a sweet deal for everyone!

08-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Well since there's nothing new from Newtek on the issue and they have slapped me again with the bundles and incentives ending just before my budget starts, I suppose I'm gonna drop the Toaster system to the bottom of my list. Then, if and when there's some decent incentives or a new release version I'll take a fresh look if I've got any money left. I wish they realized that even though money has to be spent when it's available, it's not gonna be spent foolishly. I've got to get as many tools as possible with what I have to spend before I'm stuck with nothing. If I can get make the money go further another time, then I've got to adjust my priorities when making purchasing decisions accordingly.

Jim Capillo
08-20-2004, 08:16 AM
I've also read somewhere (either here or over at the VTNT forum) that there might be something happening around September. Don't remember who posted it, so it might be official or not. Silence isn't unusual with Newtek - that goes back to the flak they took with the Toaster/Flyer pre-release announcements - and late delivery.

I'm sure whatever they have cooking will be released when its done. :cool: (and doh!) :D

08-20-2004, 09:57 PM
As always, rumors of new products abound in all industries.

Obviously, Newtek must be working on new products, but I don't recommend listening to rumors on when they will be released.

Although some people think it's a good idea to surprise the population with a finished product, this just isn't a good marketing practice, and isn't how it's done.

1) VT[4] hasn't ever been announced in ANY official way from Newtek.

2) Kind of implied by 1), no new feature set has been announced.

3) I truely don't believe there will be a finished product dropped in our laps without months of warning via product announcements. Why? Simple, the whole point of releasing a new product is to first build a buzz for the product, you want people to WANT a product, that is what builds sales. (Why do I want HDV capability, because of all the NAB announcements from other companies.)

Granted, you don't want to to do this until a product is almost ready. So again, I think that proves why we haven't had an announcement yet.

So, in conclusion, it is NEVER a good practice to base ANY business decisions on a possible product that hasn't even been officially announced yet, the very first phase of a future product's life.

VT[3] works, if you want VT[3], get it and enjoy what we can do now, if not, don't try to build a host system for a product that doesn't exist yet, you're likely to not guess right.

08-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Plus.. We have a VERY aggressive special running for the VT[3]! You can't beat $4,495.00 for the VT[3], SX-8 and RS-8.. PLUS you get one of the content packs. (PEG or Genesis)

Let me know if you have any questions.

08-28-2004, 08:25 AM
If that's still goin on then count me in. That's what I was lookin for, but I was of the understanding that it was no longer available. I was just getting a little burnt up about the timing of things. My budget dollars always seemed ready to spend in between promotions or new versions, but the product was not an issue. I just didn't want to get buyers remorse again. Lord knows I have enough of that with my other edit gear. If that package is available I'll put in an order with my dealer on Monday. Thanks. :)

08-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Awesome! Just give your local reseller a call!

If you need the name of your nearest reseller visit our dealer locator at:


See Ya,
Philip Nelson

08-28-2004, 02:52 PM
I was wondering if there are any new VT3 training videos that are up and coming. I think this was implied at the conclusion of Introduction to VT Edit, which I thought was fantastic. I know that there are several out there for VT2, but will they work with VT3? Are the differences between the two systems so great that the VT2 tapes are outdated? Please let me know, as the Intro to VT-Edit was a Godsend.