PDA

View Full Version : thomas4d rigger V2.0 problems/errors

cresshead
08-15-2004, 06:56 PM
anyone elese having problems with version 2 of the rigger and lightwave 8.0?

just had my first go with the rigger in lightwave 8.0

not been a great time so far!

many of the characters have shaders applied such as unreal or f prime so you have to click no/cancel constantly until you've gone through all the errors on loading up the model in lightwave..

with the 4 examples in the zip only the dog seems to work so far and that has no character picker to use as yet.

i've been getting lscript errors on the other characters and the on the object rigs...see attatched jpg.

the manual in the zip only covers modeler nothing about layout..i've been using the video as a guide to what to do but seeing as it's using version 1 the u.i is totally wrong...so i maybe doing something wrong on clicking buttons for the object rig...i currently just go through them down the list except for the face rig [if there's no face rig loaded] and the ikplus button as i don't think you should if you select the ik arms...not sure as yet...

i have setup oe f my own characters with skelegons/W maps but that didn't work so i'm trying the example files that came in the zip when you buy version 2.0.

it looks to me as though i should get version 1 and try that out as version 2 seems lacking in the manual/videos currently

i seem to have a little more success with the bone rigger against the object rigger though with the bone rigger many of the pro picker items don't work.

also the interaction of some rigs [even if they don't work fully as yet] seems quite sluggish, i think the more things you throw at it such as object picker and face animation then it slow down to a crawl on a pc with only a geforce 4 card [64mb]...anf that's with nothing else in the scene...i think with a scene up everything may turn to sludge!...i'll need to buy a better graphics card no doubt!

still it's early days...and i'll have a go with version one of the rigger as this has the documents that go with the plugin right now.

UnCommonGrafx
08-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey Thomos,
That's the same error I was speaking of.

cresshead
08-15-2004, 09:06 PM
to get around all the mouse clicks for the errors for unfound shaders just load up the controls in modeler and give them a new surface...sorted it for me...though the rigger still doesn't work!

not even with example scenes.

UnCommonGrafx
08-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Haven't seen the shader issues.

cresshead
08-15-2004, 09:27 PM
the shader issues are in the version 2.0 of the plugin in the zip files...i just load them up in modeler in the end and made anew surface for all the objects and the error "was a gonna".

i'm hoping that this rigging tool will entice me away from character studio and my 3dsmax 3/4...once we get it to run.

if it's not going to be similar to character studio for "ease of use" then i'll look elswhere such as messiah animate or xsi foundation
and also look back over splinegod's rigging cdroms..which i'v not tried out on a character of my own yet...i bet the time i spent trying to get that rigger and lightwave 8.0 to work i could have watched the splingod video and rigged up my character!
...well maybe!

i'll see what transpires with the errors i've been getting as i've sent the file i was using [from the content a pack].

i suspect it's lightwave 8.0 bug as both version 1.7 ad version 2 refuse to work as advertised.

UnCommonGrafx
08-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey Cresshead,
Looks like we're on the same path. I'm looking at everything but the right thing. chuckle. More marionette classes would be better.

I have to take a week or two off for each of Larry's cds, the depth of them and all. That is to say, every time I watch them.I am very happy I invested. In MotionBuilder, too. In hindsight, I wish I had invested in messiah. But, in the long run, I still need to learn to animate better.:p :D

cresshead
08-15-2004, 10:53 PM
okay had my first rig load up with no errors...
the baseman rig with bones as the controllers

tried the baseman with objects and they load okay but the feet controls when moved leave the feet mesh behind..so i deleted some bones that look to be the cause and the feet sorta popped into place in the foot controller objects...though i tried this a second time and the feet were not following the foot controllers as well...something's not right i feel.

thomas has just sent a zip so i'm trying that next to see if my version 2 files were not as they should be..

been a long night...ahh..the suns coming up!

cresshead
08-16-2004, 12:05 AM
well..got the baseman bone rig and object rig to load with out any errors...no idea why..i'm not doing anythig different!

i then used the baseman controls for my own character that i made via the "fred" character which i've yet to get to work [fred]
without errors and my character and rig created a rig with no errors with a bone rig and the object rig worked too once i deleted 4 bones around the feet..which i think are there for the "bone rig"...will be good to get the layout part of the manual when it's done.

i think your surposed to only use baseman as your "building block" or "template" for your own characters.
i was using fred who refused to work...must be his day off!

so in the end [10hours] i finally got a rig of my own!
...off to have some breakfast!

and thanks to thomas for the new zip and help...i know i had a moan...still once i "get" what's the definative procedure sorted out in my head then this looks okay for posing/animating characters.

and somewhat of a bargin at 30.

one thing that i've noiced in lightwave..and it's a lightwave thing is that i find the rotation gizmos to either rotate 2degrees or 200degrees...a real pain for animators in lightwave..i'd love to have slider controllers for rotations...maybe thomas could get that up in a new version..2.1??

early days with the rigger...at least i have a result now!

thanks for your patience.;)

cresshead
08-16-2004, 12:20 AM
screengab!

note the 4 bones i have deleted from the feet...not sure i i'm surposed to do that but it did solve the feet going "swidge" when moving them via te fool cntrollers.

the character is just a lo lpoy chap to test with.

MiniFireDragon
08-16-2004, 07:02 AM
I have not used version 2.0 yet. But in the older versions I do know that deleting bones causes the scripts not to work properly. Also the weightmap names you use must be the same as the weighmap names Thomas4D uses, or they won't apply and cause errors too.

And the last thing, the tutorial videos (or atleast the ones I've seen) miss a few steps, like clicking on the additional buttons or they won't work.

kevinmcpoland
08-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi cresshead,

for my 2 pence (or cents) worth, I have put this up on how I use T4D V2 at the moment...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kevinmcpoland/t4dindex.html

Probably not how it's supposed to be used, but it works for me...

Quite basic, so anyone already animating may not want to look...

Anyway,

Kev McP
[email protected]

bradenbickle
07-08-2005, 10:18 PM
As a side note to some of the comments in here, Messiah rocks. The real-time feedback is awesome. The trade offs really boil down to the amount of bones you need to do things vs. weight maps.

Other than that, the program really does great things.

Hiccup. The only thing that it doesn't do well is the compose feature for non-linear animation. somethings just don't work the way they should. In comarison, Motion Mixier doesn't work that well at all. The alternative is Motion Builder which has it's own problems. The benefits to motion builder, if any lightwavers ever figure out a good work flow, are unparalleled. Or, could be, that is.