PDA

View Full Version : Grab Objects

Shishio
08-15-2004, 04:30 AM
Hello ,this is my first post in the forum.

The case is that i have a charcter and (in the same scene) i want that the character grab an object move to another place and then drop it.
Ive tried parenting with nulls and trying to use follower and I cant get it to work.
So I would like to know is there is any way to do this without the help of external plugins(im poor .:rolleyes: ).
Thanks .

JamesCurtis
08-15-2004, 06:03 PM
I know in LW8 there is a plugin that will allow parenting to be performed on frame groups and different objects - but I can't remember the name of the plugin right at the moment.

Triple G
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
No need for plugins or anything fancy. The oldest (and often still the easiest and best) way to do this is to make two copies of the object that needs to get picked up. Parent one to the character's hand, and leave the other unparented. Make one visible and the other invisible. At the point when the object needs to be picked up, you key the objects' visibility so that the one that's off turns on, and the one that's on turns off.

Of course, this can get tedious if you've got a long shot with lots of picking up and dropping of things, but for many cases, this approach works just fine. :)

Shishio
08-16-2004, 01:05 AM
Thanks for your answers.
Triple G,That was i was doing now but as you say ,its tedious sometimes for long and short shots,I also do diferent planes to avoid this kind of things .Right now as JamesCurtis says there is in LW[8] a new plug in (Dinamic Parenting I think its called)That can do this .Im going to see how it works.
Thanks Triple G and JamesCurtis for answer my post.

SplineGod
08-16-2004, 01:40 AM
TripleGs suggestion is the easiest. Tedium is a big part of animating regardless if you use this method or dynamic parenting.
LW has built in dynamic parenting (Parenter). There are also several other free plugins on flay.com that work well too.
Dynamic parenting is not something new to LW8.

Triple G
08-16-2004, 01:44 AM
There's a dynamic parenting plug that's been available for a while...it's in 7.5, not sure if it was included in previous versions. It's just called Parent, available under Motion Options. Super simple to use, and works pretty well.

Worley's got one as part of their Polk collection which I like a lot more, since it lets you divorce any channel(s) you choose from being influenced by the parent. Much more versatile, but it also costs $$.

*edit* The plug included with LW is called "Parenter", not Parent. "Parent" is the name of Worley's plugin. Just wanted to clarify :)

Triple G
08-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Ahh, ya beat me to it Larry....:p

Shishio
08-16-2004, 08:41 AM
I was only trying to learn a "new way" to do this kind of things ,maybe a more "technical" way ,From the beginning I use TripleG way ,but im new in this and where I live there is not a lot of people dedicated to 3d animation ,so i dont have someone to ask how this things are done ,Thats why I dont know this plug in was in 7.5 :rolleyes: .
Its always good to learn something new:D
Thank you SplineGod and thanks TripleG(again):p