PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcuts

kltv
08-14-2004, 11:11 PM
I have a question about keyboard shortcuts. I've built a special skin for the CG module that has a dozen or so special buttons with keyboard shortcuts in the initialization script. I want the shortcuts to only apply to this skin so I can run a seperate standard CG. For some reason, if a launch another CG, even in the normal skin, it picks up the shortcuts as well. Order doesn't seem to matter. I can launch the CG module normal, then another with the special skin. Both seem to inherit the shortcuts. It does follow focus, whichever one I clicked on last is fired by the shortcut. Is there a way to isolate the shortcuts to the one skin?

Thanks!
Kris

PIZAZZ
08-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by kltv
I have a question about keyboard shortcuts. I've built a special skin for the CG module that has a dozen or so special buttons with keyboard shortcuts in the initialization script. I want the shortcuts to only apply to this skin so I can run a seperate standard CG. For some reason, if a launch another CG, even in the normal skin, it picks up the shortcuts as well. Order doesn't seem to matter. I can launch the CG module normal, then another with the special skin. Both seem to inherit the shortcuts. It does follow focus, whichever one I clicked on last is fired by the shortcut. Is there a way to isolate the shortcuts to the one skin?

Thanks!
Kris

Do you have your custom user scripts in the user folder??
That is the way it works in the rest of VT but I am not so sure about the CG module. Look in the skins folder for a user folder inside the CG skin folder and put your custom scripts and skins there. Then the only time the you should be able to access the special shortcuts is when you go to the user skin.

At least this is the normal way of doing things.

kltv
08-15-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm a little closer now. I've discovered that the shortcuts are actually working, depsite what I thought earlier. I was fooled by the little blue box showing up around the wrong CG module. The problem actually appears to be that the variables I created in the special skin initialization script aren't available if I have changed focus to the standard CG module. When the shortcut is triggered it can't do the functions because it doesn't seem to have access to the counting variables. So when I try to combine the variables into a new one, it comes out typing the name of the variable instead of the values. i'm going to try moving some script around and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

Kris

PIZAZZ
08-15-2004, 03:27 PM
No Problem Kris!

If you don't mind, post exactly what you are doing with the CG. I am sure many would love to know. If you do not want to do it publicly then at least email me so I can see if we can help.

Glad to see other people getting in the thick of things with us. :)

kltv
08-15-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't mind... basically I'm trying to build my own "FoxBox" scoreboard control for a ton of baseball games I have to do beginning on Friday afternoon. I was originally planning to do just a simple corner scoreboard that my replay guy was going to keep updated with the score and innings by just clicking and typing. But, I didn't want to have to give up the mouse and keyboard to him all the time. He also thought it would be cool to be able to do the diamond with the bases showing which had runners on them. I wasn't even going to attempt something that complicated, but he got me thinking. He could do that by clicking on the base graphic in CG then clicking "Do Not Render" off and on. But that's hard to do quickly. I knew there was the cool ScoreKeeper plug-in for Aura, but it wasn't exactly what I needed. I knew ToasterScript could control the CG interface and I could build a custom skin to make it easier to click on. So I started there. Then I started thinking some more, if I could get another control surface, like the ShuttlePro we already use, I could program it to do everything he would need the keyboard and mouse to do, and it would be much quicker.

So, I bought a Belkin Nostromo (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product_Id=157024#) external USB control. It mimicked the on-screen interface I built pretty well. It also allowed me to add the Ball/Strike count. The directional pad is tied to the base runner displays, the keyboard style buttons do the ball 1-2-3, outs 1-2, strike 1-2, clear count, clear outs, inning plus, home +- and visitor +-. I even have a couple extra buttons. It works great actually, as long as that CG module has focus over any other CG module. I haven't got the display functions to update correctly unless I use a timer callback (which I don't really want to do), but everything that has to work to run the CG output works. It does have a tendancy to crash if I don't load it in the standard skin, then switch to my custom skin. But as long as I change the skin to normal before I close it, I don't have a problem.

If anybody is interested in it, I wouldn't mind sharing if I can get it to be somewhat crash-proof and solve my display issues. We'll be internet streaming the games as well, probably not from the Toaster itself, I'm pushing it to the limit already...

Kris

kltv
08-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Here is the interface. The on-air graphic itself isn't with me at the moment, but I'll share it later.

Kris

kltv
08-15-2004, 05:10 PM
And the truck built around it...

kltv
08-15-2004, 05:24 PM
And the interface driven scoreboard...

PIZAZZ
08-16-2004, 07:54 AM
That whole concept is really awesome. Congrats for sticking to it and getting done what you felt would work best for you. It seems we have another ToasterScript pro in our midst.

Very nice work. I really like the stripped down interface. I also really like that Belkin game controller. It is cheaper than the XKeys solution we use. Good find there.

I know in the DDR scripts there are some key combinations that allow you to pull focus on a module. I wonder if there isn't something like that for the CG. In order to get individual DDR controller from multiple controllers we had to send that Pull Focus command first and then send the play info. We are working on a better way to do this because if you crash and don't kill winrtme the DDRs renumber themselves 1 or 3 higher. Instead of DDR1, 2, 3 we end up with DDR 2, 3 ,4 or 4,5,6. Quite the confusing thing to figure out why.

Are you using the VT for replay also??
We have a nice controller we use to have independent control on the different DDRs.

kltv
08-16-2004, 12:55 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a pro... it has been a struggle the whole way. I also built some shortcuts for the switcher to take preview and switch the DSK at the same time. That will allow me to take to the new shot with the players name DSK then take back with the scoreboard DSK. Not as cool as having two DSKs, but it'll work. I saw that there were some functions for DDR focus, but it didn't see anything like that for the CG.

I really like that little Belkin controller too. I got it for $25 and it works great.

We will probably use the VT some for instant replay, it does look great from it. The slow-motion from it is great too. But, you can only record what you have on main in and preview in. We also got two Panasonic ReplayTV boxes. They are kinda like a TiVo. The video quality isn't as good as the toaster but, I wish we had a couple more. It will give me two cams for replay, plus whatever I had on program, and whatever I had on preview.

Kris

mzafrany
08-16-2004, 02:49 PM
"if you crash and don't kill winrtme the DDRs renumber themselves 1 or 3 higher. Instead of DDR1, 2, 3 we end up with DDR 2, 3 ,4 or 4,5,6. Quite the confusing thing to figure out why."

Jeff, just select 'Blank' desktop before loading/setting your desktop. That will reset DDR numbers back to 1. I hope NewTek fixes this in the next release.

How do you use VT for instant replay?

kltv
08-16-2004, 04:13 PM
We just use two DDRs, one recording "Preview In" one recording "Main In." Then, when you need a replay, hit "Chop." The clip will load into the DDR and continue recording. It cues to the beginning of the clip, so I use a shuttlepro shortcut to jump to the outpoint, then I roll it back a few seconds and run the replay. You can do the slow motion too!

Kris