PDA

View Full Version : hitting esc during render freezes layout

jacobo21
08-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi there;

Is it a common occurence to everyone for LW [8] to freeze or hang when a render is cancelled by hitting the esc key or cancel button? Cuz this is the one thing that I have observed in v [8], especially in scenes that contain radiosity if you hit esc or cancel when therendering is in progress, Layout simply freezes and this happens like 90 percent of all the times... Any suggestions?

thanx

aj

JamesCurtis
08-15-2004, 06:10 PM
I had this happen to me in LW8 but it was when I had a plugin attached and cancelled the render. In your case, remember, things like radiosity tend to be processor intensive and sometimes the system does take a while to recognize a cancelled render. So far as I know there have not been any reports of this problem from anyone else YET!!

Shishio
08-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Sometimes when you do thing that needs a lot of processing and memory usage (like rendering or dinamics calculation)It looks like lightwave die.If your machine its slow this could be normal(I have a p42.8ht and happens to me sometimes).
So Ii think you have to wait...at least thats my experience.

jacobo21
08-16-2004, 03:41 PM
thanx james and shishio for your replies... But the weirdest thing is that I ran into this problem while trying out my older scene files I had done in v 7.5 and whether the scenes contained GI calculation or not, the previous versions never used to hang when I hit esc regardless of whichever phase the rendering process was in... I'm very frustrated over this prob cuz making test renders has become extremely difficult for me at this point... I tested the sample scene files that came with 8, but the problem persists to exist there as well... And what's more, Layout either waits for 30 mins up to 1.5 hours to release the buffer or hangs indefinetely (yes, that's right!!...) Really very frustrating. And my machine is a 2.8 ghz p4 HT with 2GB of RAM... Is it me or LW?? I have 7.5c installed on the same machine and everything works just fine there...

aj

FONGOOL
08-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I've cancelled renders by hitting the abort button on the interface without any problems. They were pretty simple renders though...

erroLux
08-18-2004, 01:41 AM
I have this problem also regularly (specs: pentium 4 2.8 gHz, 2 GB RAM, NVIdia Geforce FX 6800 ultra graphics card).
Cause I do'nt have knowledge of LW prior to version 8, I can not compare.
My "solution" to the problem is making sure everything has been saved before doing a render, and when LW8 '"hangs" after cancellation, then I use the "good" old ctrl+alt+delete to stop layout and then reload the prog and the scene.

Not my favorite way of doing things...

Greets...

jorbedo
08-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Yes I saw the same behavior at work, we have a P4 3.4Ghz 1GB of DDR2 Ram a very fast system running LW8, and everytime that we hit cancel render LW dies.

What a beatiful feature NT, I already loosed 2 scenes because of this, meanwhile my boss ordered 1 Maya seat, he ordered LW8 only to finish an old project, I told him not to waste his money, whatever.

In the last 2 years you saw 3 or more new versions of Maya and Max (Very Robust versions), LW from 6 to 8, just a bunch of additional plugins, the same old rendering engine and a different interface.

Be serious Newtek, do something revolutionary like in the past, you are loosing your touch and some customers every year.