PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a FAQ's page?

hrgiger
08-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Among other things on my plate right now, I'm working on putting together a FAQ's page for Lightwave. I'm either going to host it myself on my page (which is currently and temporarily down) or I'll give it to someone else to host or I'll just make an html file that you can download and peruse at your leisure. In any event, I want to hear from everyone on what questions you see come up a lot that can be used for reference for new users and experienced users alike. Maybe we can all learn a thing or two...

I'm going to break it down into sections like modeler/layout general, and then more specific like lighting, texturing, animation, etc.....

And I've already got "how do I make a box?":D So other then that, let me hear some questions....

Silkrooster
08-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Hmmm.... Some questions newbees would ask....
Why do my polys look all mangled when I select all the points and press create poly?
How come some of my polys look black?
What is 3-point lighting?
Why does Lightwave only recognize 3 and 4 point polys only when I press the tab key?
What do I do when a tutorial calls for a plug in and I can not find it?(example-plugin button greyed out)
Where can I find some good tutorials?
Where can I find some free plug-ins?
What are some good books to read?
Can I take classes anyplace to learn Lightwave?
What is a gradient?
How do I use boolean subtration?
How do I rename a layer?
How come my textures are lost when I save my scene?
How do I add a plugin I just downloaded?
How do I delete an object from my scene?
How do I delete a key?

That all I can think of for now, if I think of any more. I will post them here.
Silkrooster

hrgiger
08-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks Silk!

These are some of the ones I have right now.

What is the difference between the point by point and box modeling methods?

How do I remove an envelope?

Why does my model start to disappear in Layout when I get close to it?

How do I set a background image in modeler?

Is there anyway I can organize my endomorphs other then one long list?

Why does my model, or parts of my model, disappear as I move it or deform it with bones in Layout?

Why do parts of my model "slip" or move between two keyframes?

Why does light seem to be passing through my model?

What is the difference between using F9 and F10 to render?

My render is taking forever. Is there anyway to reduce the render times without lowering the quality settings?

I have subpatched my model but I can still see the polygonal edges in the final render. How can I make sure it is smooth?

I added hair to my model using SasLite but it's not showing up in reflections. What's wrong?

Will a faster graphics card boost my rendering speed.

How can I delete or get rid of a surface name?

I made changes in Layout in the surface editor but Lightwave didn't save my changes!

Silkrooster
08-15-2004, 01:22 AM
I also think it would be a good idea to list the limits on sas light
Explain why object don't work right if the bones have not been activated and why you should reset the rest position
How to split a spline and make sure the splines are all going the correct way
Explain how to create double sided objects, both using the surface editor as well as copy and paste methods.

I guess it would be possible to turn this into a beginners tuturial if you did more than question and answers. Perhaps it would be better for now to just convert those above into questions. Then somewheres down the road think about an actual tutorial.
Have you thought about giving Newtek permission to use you FAQ on their web site? or even to let them put it in their manual?
Silk

Hervé
08-15-2004, 11:40 PM
... also not just for Newbies, some LW hardcore FAQ's as well....

why when I use cloth FX, it does not work.... doh....:D :D

caesar
08-16-2004, 08:02 AM
What is the difference between using F9 and F10 to render?

LOL...I know someone that would want to die reading this...

lede
08-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Nice start on the questions. Silkrooster and hrgiger nice questions. I don't know how many times I've read those kind of questions in the past year.

@Silkrooster, It would be nice to have both worlds here. Have a quick link FAQ and mabie link to quick tutorials on the more difficult questions.

@Hervé, Yeah some times it would be nice to have a FAQ for users that are a little more advanced.

-Lee

Silkrooster
08-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Lede,
I agree with you. I don't think there are enough tutorials on NT's web site. I beleive if this was done right, the learning curve would be a lot shorter. A newbee should not have to hunt down tutorials or answers to obvious solutions. I find even in the LW manual things are barely mentioned. Which is why I mentioned earlier to point to a location for tutorials, books, etc.
One thing that I noticed with the tutorials that are already on the net. Is that either the links are broken or the tutorials are getting out dated. I have not seen very many relating to ver 8.

lede
08-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Silkrooster, have you been reading my mind? There are still some really good tutorials but your right a lot of them either are down or outdated. I get asked a million times a day how to do somthing and find out I'm outdated.:D

Now then I have a good friend right now who is working on building another community and we have been working on some new tutorials. Right now their all vids and recorded in Lightwave 8 so their semi up to date.

This FAQ will definatly be on my raidar now.

-Lee

Lightwolf
08-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Just as an idea, how about turning the FAQ into a Wiki, so that users could actually extend it or add new topics?

Cheers,
Mike

jamesl
08-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Yeah! wiki! But that's a bit more work to host.

j

Originally posted by Lightwolf
Just as an idea, how about turning the FAQ into a Wiki, so that users could actually extend it or add new topics?

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
08-17-2004, 01:32 PM
What's a wiki? I'll certainly look into at least what it is...;)

I'd certainly also open up a email address to deal solely with new questions as well as refinement to old ones. In the meantime, if you have any questions that you think should be FAQ's, post them here.

Lightwolf
08-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
What's a wiki? I'll certainly look into at least what it is...;)

Have a look at a Wiki to find out :)
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiWeb
The most famous one being www.wikipedia.org of course.

Basically it is a web site that is (usually) database driven, and allows anyone to edit or extend it. Perfect for a user driven FAQ imho, because it tends to live on for a long time after you got fed up keeping the FAQ up to date ;)

Cheers,
Mike

hrgiger
08-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
Basically it is a web site that is (usually) database driven, and allows anyone to edit or extend it. Perfect for a user driven FAQ imho, because it tends to live on for a long time after you got fed up keeping the FAQ up to date ;)

I like the idea Mike but doesn't leave open the possibility of a lot of erroneus information being posted?

Lightwolf
08-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I like the idea Mike but doesn't leave open the possibility of a lot of erroneus information being posted?
Well, that is the nice thing about a wiki, you have kind of a peer review system.
Since you can track the changes, other people can correct or improve on the content.
So, if I let's say check the FAQ, and find out something isn't correct, or could be improved, it leaves me the chance to change it without bugging you :)
On the other hand, if I write bs, others could correct me as well.
Loads of open source documentation is Wiki based by the way, and I think it is just about the best way for an open pool of information at the moment.
This could even be expanded with, let's say, and SDK section (something i've wanted to do for a long time, a LW SDK Wiki :) ).
Cheers,
Mike

Silkrooster
08-17-2004, 05:46 PM
I do like the idea of a searchable database. However, I think that any one with questions should post them or email them to the web master. Then the web master can do research to make sure the data is correct and then post the answer in the database. It would be nice to allow others with knowledge to share their insite. How about a web page where people could submit tutorials and tips? Then the web master could sort through these and post those that the web master finds useful.
Silk

hrgiger
08-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Silkrooster
I do like the idea of a searchable database. However, I think that any one with questions should post them or email them to the web master. Then the web master can do research to make sure the data is correct and then post the answer in the database.

I guess that was kind of what I was thinking.

lede
08-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Lets try and not re-invent the wheel here. We already have some good sites that maintian links to good tutorials. Personally this project should be self contained so that we're not relying on another website to provide a tutorial.

Keep the idea's flowing though because it sounds like we're starting to get a firmer idea on this project. I'll have to take some time and read up on the Wiki stuff some so I can be a little more informed. Thanks Lightwolf for the suggestion I'll be back when I know some more :D

-Lee

Lightwolf
08-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Hi lede,
here are a couple of links to Wiki comparisons and the like:

http://kaste.lv/~captsolo/info/blog_a.php/2004/03/28/p445
where I pulled
http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/apr03/mattison.shtml
and
http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2004/02/looking_at_wiki.html

I guess it depends on the capabilites of the host.

Cheers,
Mike

druitre
08-19-2004, 04:49 PM
questions I can remember seeing more than once:

- the difference between the <> and [] keyboardshortcuts in layout (both seem to zoom in/out in a viewport, but why are my lights growing bigger?)

- how do I make a bigger light? (I can't use the 'size' when a light is selected)

- Why don't I see shadows from my spotlights? (the relation between relative distance of spot to object,shadowmapsize and shadow fuzziness)

- I placed a light in front of a 100% reflective surface, but I don't see anything.

Success with the FAQ, I've seen the wikipedia (an encyclopedia wiki-stylee) and it seems not to suffer from random horse manure or out-of-control chaos, so it looks to me like an option. The more extensive and uptodate, the more useful a list like this would be, and constant user input/feedback could make it just that.

druitre

Silkrooster
08-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Hrgiger
If this is for mostly newcomers, What about also having a glossary of Terms. Perhaps a howto sections instead of tutorials.
Just some ideas.
Silk