PDA

View Full Version : My First Post, Simple Flowers

drclare
08-14-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi, I've been on this forum for a while now but have never posted any images. Well, now I finally have one that I am moderately proud of, even though I know it could be a lot better. I just don't have the skills yet. Suggestions welcome.

http://www.vertizonticalstudios.com/Images/LiliesForMegan.jpg

adrian
08-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Well that looks pretty good!! For medium distance shots, those flowers would be perfect.

For close-ups, I would say add a few kinks to the stem, or maybe add some bumps here and there. At the moment they look a little too straight.

You also need to add some subtle bump mapping to the petals/green leaves - right now they look a little artificial.

How many polys are these? Did you use reference photos?

Adrian.

drclare
08-14-2004, 01:44 AM
Thanks Adrian. You're definintely right about the stem. I wanted to have this image done by today so I didn't have time to work on it. And yes the surfacing needs a lot of work. That is my weakest area, creating realistic surfaces. To be honest I rarely even know where to begin. I did use one reference photo to get an idea of the shape of the petals mostly. As far as the polys, it's about 68,000 in the scene, I rendered the final out to 24" by 14" at 300dpi for print.

miso popovic
08-14-2004, 05:31 AM
regarding the texturing there are some great tutorials on the net, i would realy recomend that you check em out, it will help a lot i getting the idea how to do it. Off the top of my head i would say this- allways approach the texturing metodicly, study the material you wish to mimmic, how does it reflect light, what kind of bump does it have, etc.. often the smallest details make the biggest difference. Build the material layer by layer.
Well, that's at least my 2 cents :)hope it helps

adrian
08-15-2004, 12:45 AM
I would also recommend Leigh Van Der Byl's new book from personal experience as well - ESPECIALLY if your texturing skills are not the best. This book will get you up to speed.

Are you planning on modelling a whole garden? That would be a cool project to do...

Adrian.

drclare
08-15-2004, 09:30 AM
No, I'm not doing a whole garden, that would be cool though. I just made this for my girlfriend because lilies are her favorite flowers.