PDA

View Full Version : Link elements from different layers

chemaelizondo
08-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Guys.
Im against a brick wall here.
Can anybody tell me how to link two elements from different layers toghether?

I have assigned a Saslite fur texture to the head of the bird. This is done using guide chains therefore If I get the chains into the same layer of the bird the fur won't render.
If I get the guide chains in a different layer, the fur will render but the chains won't follow the possition of the head of the bird, as shown in the next pic.

Apparently making the main character layer as parent of the Sas lite layer won't do it.

Does any one wkno how to render the chain based fur in the same layer as the main model?
or
Does anyone know how to link the the chains to keep their position in the model's head?

JamesCurtis
08-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Have you parented the fur/hair layer to the head layer of your character? If not, In LW8 find the Setup Tab-> Motion -> Motion Options and set the fur/hair layer of the object to be a parent of the head. If you have 7xx or under, I can't remember what the motion options button would be. Hope this helps. BTW, you probably can't see the fur in your other render because of the fact the fur/hair was not where it should be in view.

Hope this helps.

evenflcw
08-14-2004, 02:39 PM
If you want to animate two (or more) layers as one, you should not only parent the second to the first, but also tell it to use the bones of the first layer, so they will not only move together, but also deform together: With the second layer selected, enter Bones edit mode (button at the bottom), then Item Properties and at the top of the Bones Properties panel set "Use Bones from Object" to the first layer.

Btw, it works fine for me to have it all in one layer. Did you set SasLite to render hair and not fur (last option)? Did you also tell it what specific surface to treat as hair? And did you also give the bottom polys (closest to the scalp) a surface name including the phrase "root"!?

chemaelizondo
08-16-2004, 10:04 AM
The whole was already done, the only thing missing was assigning the bone structure to the layer with the hair chains aso.

Thanks

JM:D