PDA

View Full Version : Problem with IKBooster and resized characters

Mipmap
08-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Whenever I resize a character and I turn on IKBooster each bone seems to create a line that will go off into a random direction in space for infinity. When this happens not only does it make it hard to see things, but it will crash lightwave if I try to open the scene if I save it.

This happens if the character scale is anything other than 100%.

The reason I'd want to resize characters is for something like taking character of a deer, cow and make varied sizes so they look less like clones.

Silkrooster
08-14-2004, 08:03 PM
If you want to try some experimenting, create two or three different sizes in modeler, then use those models as morphs. Now, when you try this in layout, you can select different size models with the correct size bones. Just remember to create your rig in modeler as well.
Usually when making objects look like they are not clones, you would create more than one texture set for that object. By applying diffent textures no one would be the wiser that you cloned an object.
Another option would be to use object replacement. Select what objects you want replaced, then select replace-object and then the file name.
One more thing to check out. Before you resize the object, make sure that the object is in rest postion.
Hopefully one of the above will help.
Silkrooster

Mipmap
08-15-2004, 02:28 AM
OK, I can try giving those a shot. However, wouldn't this same problem ruin things for anyone wanting to use scale for squash and stretch with a character?

Silkrooster
08-15-2004, 09:06 PM
That I don't know, I am thinking you may have run across a bug in the program. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this subject. All I can do for now is just give some ideas of ways you can get your scene to work.

SplineGod
08-16-2004, 01:36 AM
I turn off IKB and resize the rig itself then turn IKB back on.
Are you creating more of a cartoony squash and stretch?

Mipmap
08-16-2004, 10:38 AM
I hadn't come to that yet, I was just curious when I asked since I figured anyone animating with squash and stretch and using IKBooster would be wanting to just use the scale tools as they animated to do just that. If what happens for me happens for others then this would mean they couldn't animate the scale of their character for squash and stretch.

I've tried turning of IKBooster and then scaling the model on frame 0 just for the herd of animals thing I described before, but still if the character was more or less than 1.0 I'd still get those lines when I turned it back on. :confused: