PDA

View Full Version : Win XP SP2 + Lightwave

mcewan7
08-13-2004, 02:52 AM
XP SP2 is starting to filter around with quite a few reports of serious issues with non-microsoft installed software.

Can anyone who has already installed SP2 confirm if it causes any issues with Lightwave?

WCameron
08-13-2004, 05:33 AM
nothing so far...
I also took the time ti install the latest release of the nvidia forceware drivers.

i cant really see any appreciatable diferance in performance for having done both, to tell you the truth.

the SP2 pack does do one or two odd things - like restore the MSMessanger service, and reactivate the inbuilt firewall.

- Will.

art
08-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by WCameron
nothing so far...
I also took the time ti install the latest release of the nvidia forceware drivers.

i cant really see any appreciatable diferance in performance for having done both, to tell you the truth.

the SP2 pack does do one or two odd things - like restore the MSMessanger service, and reactivate the inbuilt firewall.

- Will.

The firewall reactivation was clearly stated in the document describing updates included in SP2 so I was expecting that. I haven't installed sp2 yet, so I cannot say more. I'm waiting for the "official" release from the windows update. One thing I'm happy about is the popup blocker (although google does a decent job) and security enhancements. We'll see how it works with my LW

DarkLight
08-13-2004, 09:25 AM
I've just downloaded this from MSDN today so i'll give it a try tonight.

mattclary
08-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I've been QAing our product extensively with SP2 for the last three days. Haven't used it with LightWave yet, but pretty much worst case you should see a dialog asking if you want program x to be blocked by the firewall or do you want to trust program x with an option to always trust.

My observation is it shouldn't be a problem except for the truely cluless.

Jim_C
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/60.htm#winrepsub4

I am waiting.

Lito
08-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I have SP2 on my new machine. Lightwave using the Parallel dongle, works fine.

DFX+ (mine is not tied to the LW dongle btw) on the other hand won't work on the machine because the HASP dongle drivers won't install. HASP I hear is working on SP2 certified drivers but they won't be ready till early September (this info is from someone on the pigsfly DFX forum).

WCameron
08-13-2004, 04:38 PM
did you try installing them in compatability mode?

- Will.

Lito
08-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Hmm compatibility mode? You mean safe mode? I never really thought about trying to do that before. I guess I should make a restore point first before I try that. Not sure if it'll work but I'll give it a go :)

Edit: Just tried it and it didn't work.

DarkLight
08-15-2004, 12:33 AM
I've installed SP2 here and i've had no problems at all with any software.

t4d
08-15-2004, 06:50 AM
yeah Sp2 works here with LW & DFX etc
but the fire wall is a abit of a bummer too much power & hard to find the controls normal M$ stuff

Para
08-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by t4d
yeah Sp2 works here with LW & DFX etc
but the fire wall is a abit of a bummer too much power & hard to find the controls normal M$ stuff

Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall and just do whatever you want. Open a couple of ports even if you like.

You call that hard? :)

t4d
08-15-2004, 07:10 AM
I normally user Zonealarms
I tried the M$ one and couldn't get my render farm to work
tried alot of settings no luck

turned it off and gone back to Zonealarms works now :rolleyes:

I'm not too smart but i can lift heavy things :D

Liber777
08-15-2004, 07:52 AM
One caveat I found on the Nuendo forum regarding SP2 is that, if you're using FireWire-800 devices, the speed will be reduced from 800 mbit to 100 mbit.

~Stivan

Lito
08-15-2004, 09:40 AM
t4d: Is DFX tied to a separate dongle or to the LW one?

t4d
08-15-2004, 09:49 AM
my version is tied to the LW one

WCameron
08-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Lito - no compatabilty mode is diferent from Safe mode.

go to where the dongle driver installer is, right click on it, and open the Properties selection.
on the new pannel should be a tab called compatabilty. you can chose the run diferent programs in
compatabiltiy modes for previous Windows version all the way back to 95. doesnt allways work (especially on Games!) but worth a try. maybe try Windows 2000 mode.

- Will.

Lito
08-15-2004, 03:28 PM
WCameron - Tried that it doesn't work, but thanks for the tip. Never noticed that tab before. It am pretty sure it isn't running because XP2 probably does something slightly different with services. Basically the installer keeps telling me it can't start the aladdin services. I might uninstall SP2 then install the dfx dongle drivers then reinstall sp2. That might work.

Edit: It didn't work. But it seems that the drivers are installed but now DFX can't find the dongle, but the dongle is "on" now though so it seems XP has the drivers installed but not installed correctly. Tried reinstalling the hasp drivers over the now "on" dongle and it seems I am back to the way it was before. Dongle is off, and I can't install the dongle drivers lol.