PDA

View Full Version : Changing bones

captain nemo
08-13-2004, 02:26 AM
Hi there.
I have been working on my first animated model and i have some questions. Heres the score so far.

1) Made skelegons in modeler. Main body chain, armes chain and legs chain all seperate.
2) Sent all layers to layout.
3) Used the "Use bones from object" property to make each set of bones move the various bits of the model.
4) Did all the usual ik chain stuff with nulls and what have you.

So, it works quite well as far as moving the arms and legs with the nulls is concerned but there is one problem. As the arm chain is not directly connected to the main body chain the top of the arm will not move when i use the "Head" null to make the character bend over. I tried to parent the first bone in the arm chain to the closest bone in the main body chain but the model went bonkers when i did that. I also thought about adding more bones to connect the legs and arms to the main body bones but i could not quite see how to do this.

I dont really want to start the rigging process all over again as it is quite far on now and i would have to redo lots of stuff.

Any advice would be much appreciated as i am still a muppett when it comes to animation.

evenflcw
08-13-2004, 04:09 AM
If you want to change the parent of a bone you first have to make sure your character is in it's "rest pose". Normally this would mean you go to frame 0 and turning off IK. Then to make sure the bone stays at it's original location nomatter what you decide to parent it to, turn on Parent In Place (in the General Options). Next, pick the new parent for the bone. If you have Deformations on, the mesh will probably get distorted. To fix this, with the bone selected, run Rec Rest Position, to tell LW the new rest position of the bone (=where no deformation should have happened yet).

That's the workflow I have in my mind. I don't have the program infront of me at the moment, but it's something like that. :)

captain nemo
08-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks mate.
At work just now but will try that later.

Sounds like a good plan.:)

captain nemo
08-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi again.
That did the trick.
Cheers :)

BTW I posted another topic and it appeared twice. Could that be because i hit the back button a couple of times to get back to the forum after submitting my post? I'm pretty sure i only hit the submit button once.:confused:

evenflcw
08-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Glad it worked!

I acctually rebuilt parts of a somewhat complex bone setup just the day before. It went quite smoothly. I was even able to keep the old setup in the scene and switch between the two to test which was behaving better (thanks to the "use bones from object").

The trick is to keep your mind cool and save often so you don't have to worry about loosing work.