PDA

View Full Version : Newtek...Love your Software..Hate Your Video Streams

lasvideo
08-12-2004, 11:54 AM
I want to watch, but it is too frustrating. My T1 feels like snail mail.

lede
08-12-2004, 12:03 PM
It seems their best video feed day was yesterday and today we're back to a big buffering problem again. I'm glade their going to post these feed on the FTP server so we can watch them later and on our own time frame.

-Lee

Mike Pauza
08-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I've been able to watch about half of the feeds, but the quality is so sporadic. I'd hoped with 10X the bandwidth I had last year the video would be laser.

It's awesome that we'll be able to download the video's after the fact, but like lasvideo said, watching is too frustrating. Guess we all just need to get down to Sig next year.

-Mike

GCL
08-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Same here ! Last year, I was streaming non-stop and recording. This year is nearly impossible. Thank goodness Newtek will provide video files. Hopefully, Sasquatch, Dick Van Dyke, workflow techniques, etc.

On another note and hopefully to Newtek's.
Where are those HATS ? I was told about 1-2 years ago no longer available but yet still giving them away !
I'm more than happy to buy one, please Newtek !
Also, are those Newtek logo shirt William's wearing be made available ?

Time will tell...

:confused:

-EsHrA-
08-12-2004, 12:40 PM
the stream sure is bad but i do expect the full 3 days of streams served well except for all the 'pause' videos...

although i love the Lightwave Siggraph Demoreel this year.

mlon

Capt Lightwave
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
This is hopeless....

dwburman
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I wonder if things would be better if they dropped the bitrate a bit.

Weetos
08-12-2004, 03:05 PM
same prob here... It was really frustating :(

I do hope they're gonna fix this for the next show. By the way, when are they going to make the feed available for download?

Best regards

Weetos

Hervé
08-12-2004, 11:14 PM
funny, after years of bad stream, you'd think it' s fixed....:D

in ten years, we 'll all be laughing at that....

Weetos
08-13-2004, 05:34 AM
years of bad stream? well NAB webcast was pretty good (some freezing here and there, but nothing compared to the sig2004). yesterday, most of it was like "Ok What we're gonna show you now is .... ..... killer... .... .... .... albee... ... .... ... (few secs later)... so how did you .... .... ..... .... (few secs) .... .... characters.... .... .... lightwave... ... .... ........ features ....... ...... -Oh that's great ! and could you explain how you achieved this ? -Oh sure ! basically I .... ...... ..... (freezing again)..... .... .... it's that easy. - Wow "

well add to this the fact that Kiki kept on interupting Proton, and it makes the worst live stream I've ever seen from Newtek. I was looking forward to watching it, and I got very disapointed when I realized it was "censored" that I gave up.

Hervé
08-13-2004, 06:42 AM
well shot Weetos....:D :D :cool:

archiea
08-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Weetos
years of bad stream? well NAB webcast was pretty good (some freezing here and there, but nothing compared to the sig2004). yesterday, most of it was like "Ok What we're gonna show you now is .... ..... killer... .... .... .... albee... ... .... ... (few secs later)... so how did you .... .... ..... .... (few secs) .... .... characters.... .... .... lightwave... ... .... ........ features ....... ...... -Oh that's great ! and could you explain how you achieved this ? -Oh sure ! basically I .... ...... ..... (freezing again)..... .... .... it's that easy. - Wow "

well add to this the fact that Kiki kept on interupting Proton, and it makes the worst live stream I've ever seen from Newtek. I was looking forward to watching it, and I got very disapointed when I realized it was "censored" that I gave up.

LOL!!! I was on a mac with airport... I thought it was my flaky connection at work... I guess it was more of a stream problem....

As long as they post them afterwards.. Timothy's story was very interesting....

Original1
08-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I was really gutted that the stream was so poor this year, since I use these streams of Industy pros to convince people that Lightwave is a good bet.

I was especially looking forward to the Ron Thorton one, but I couldn't even get a connection during that time

pnelson
08-13-2004, 06:55 PM
I wanted to update everyone as to why the stream has "moments" of madness this week....

Our "Virgin Windows install" Streaming machine was hit with a couple o' hundred viruses the night before the show started!!!!

Not good timing..

I'm just glad that we got things sorted out!

Thanks for watching!

The moral of this story is...
Security Patches are your friend!

See Ya,

ghopper
08-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by pnelson
Our "Virgin Windows install" Streaming machine was hit with a couple o' hundred viruses the night before the show started!!!!

Don't quite understand this. If the virus problem was fixed, how come the stream was still bad ?

Not criticising or anything, just a bit confused about the explanation.

I guess this has rather to do with keeping bandwidth costs down. I can image you had quite a few viewers.

Weetos
08-14-2004, 03:51 AM

Ah ! This is a good lesson to be learnt ;) NEVER connect a virgin windows install to the internet without closing 135,137,139 and 445 TCP ports (those exploited by most worms). If you don't follow this simple rule, your machine is a dead one in seconds, plus it will waste a certain amount of bandwidth when the worms and the likes try to propagate.

Please Newtek don't forget that for the next show or I kill Bill Gates. You 've been warned

Regards

Weetos

Karmacop
08-14-2004, 04:30 AM
Newtek, please forget about it next show ;) :p

3DBob
08-14-2004, 07:06 AM
please please forget!

seriously though kiki was anoying with only ageing historical knowledge - tell me she didn't get paid - I could, like so many here, have done soooooo much better - all I want is a flight and accommodation next time please :D

She picked up things fast to her credit - but really she should have sat down with a few animators several days before the show and learnt some of the kick ***** features L[8] has. Cringeworthy at times. Negative sales impact me thinks.

3DBob

Hervé
08-15-2004, 03:10 AM
Marylin Manson would have been better

Karmacop
08-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I hope you're not saying anythign bad about Manson, he's a smart guy. It'd be interesting to see him demo though ;)

Hervé
08-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Karmacop, this is why I am saying that...:D ;)

the problem with girls showing a product like LW is :

- Take a superb girl, vey sexy, your booth will fill up very fast, but nobody will watch the show.....;) :D :D

- Take an ugly girl.... nobody will show up....:D

Let's not mix everything.... I mean real pros dont get fooled, just some retarded teenagers maybe...:D

.... and it makes LW (a really smart product) look like a Carnaval Item.... now where's my whistle...?

pooby
08-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Weetos... why the name?

Weetos
08-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Ohh that's a long story that started when I was in high school. I was studying physics and the students were asked to wear white coats. For some reason, the pals there gave me that name because of a stupid tv commercial promoting those cereals (http://www.weetabix.co.uk/brands/weetos/default.asp) where a totally crazy scientist named 'Weetos' was working out a new formula. I don't really know why they called me it, but I guess it had to do with the fact I was always trying to experiment stupid things when we were at the lab, such as breathing ammonia (NH3) which hurts a lot !! (Remember Steve O sniffing some wasabi? well it gives the same result :D ).

Well this is a little OT so I'd better shut up now ;)

Regards

Weetos