PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this numbers?!

caesar
08-12-2004, 07:14 AM
In http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-25.html I saw this benchmark with LW 8, and guess what, AMD won the first 6 places!
Really, Im an AMD fan, its so coool!:D

caesar
08-12-2004, 07:16 AM
;)

byte_fx
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
The way I see it those top spots are a 64 bit cpu.

apples (oops) and oranges.

I've seen other tests comparing northwoods and prescotts against the top 32 bit AMD chips and the AMD's took a real dive - up to 55% slower than a prescott and up to 53 % slower than a northwood.

I have some scenes with 950K+ polys, 200+ lights with volumetric fx and voxels that slow even the AMD 64 bit machines to a virtual halt while the p 4 systems are churning out frames. One scene in particular renders in HD format in just under 2 hours per frame. Don't know what time the Opteron took - after 5 hours it was only on pass 7 of 9 so I unplugged it and booted it out the door.

That and general system instability - caused by the mb bios chips - plus their finickiness about video cards make AMD systems a huge no-no for me.

But - to each their own. Maybe some day AMD systems will be truly faster and as stable as the wintel ones. Just not here yet.

byte_fx

caesar
08-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Wow, at Sig theres people showing why the Opterons were choosen to render Star Wars 3, instead of an Apple/Intel/Sun/? solution. They´re are using Maya and Xsi, I heard of.

EDIT - they´re using quad processors servers/blades in racks

Parallax
08-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I am on my fourth AMD system.....never had a problem with BIOS, instability, video or any other card incompatability. LW runs like a charm.

Next incarnation is a dual opteron rig with dual core processors.

adamsanders
09-06-2004, 07:37 PM
byte_fx,

it IS an apples to apples comparison because they are both running in 32-bit windows and in 32bit mode. The differences lie in the pipeline length, cache sizes, and memory controller (AMD's is on the processor).

byte_fx
09-07-2004, 03:32 PM
It's still a 64 bit vs. 32 bit cpu comparison.

Have also heard - but not confirmed - that the opteron may be able to split some apps into two 32 bit streams for internal processing.

Regardless - I've started ordering parts for a dual Xeon system.

WAY too many bad experiences with AMD products in the past.

Not saying I'll never use AMD products again - just that human life span isn't long enough to make it likely. But there just might be an Apple in the future.

byte_fx

adamsanders
09-07-2004, 05:18 PM
No it isn't. In that benchmark it's a bunch of 32 bit processors. Some of them can also, by the way, run in 64 bit mode if you want them to. There is nothing going on inside those processors that is happening in 64 bits. No 64 bit wide instructions are given, no 64 bits wide registers are accessed 64 bits at a time. Data is being processed 32 bits at a time, just like in the intels.

There is no reason that an opteron that has 64 bit wide registers would ever need to split 64 bit data into two 32 bit wide streams for "internal processing."

If you're ordering a new xeon system, you might as well use the Nocona's with EMT64 and 800Mhz FSB since they are for some reason cheaper than their 533FSB 32bit counterparts. I guess they're cheaper because they have less cache.

byte_fx
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
First of all - I'm ordering a new system - I'm ordering the parts so I can build it myself.

And I will be using 533 fsb because of the mb - an Asus PC-DL Deluxe. Apart from having dual-Xeon with dual ddr support for under $200 it is also ATX form factor which means it'll fit nicely in the highly configurable Lian Li PC-6077 case.

Altogether I can put together a dual Xeon 3.06 ghz system with 2 meg ram, etc. for under $2000. Which means that for the $4000 + an opteron system would cost I can have a two node render farm with one of them also serving as the LW development box. That'll let me crank out frames quite a bit faster than a single opteron box.

To me that's a much better deal than anything using AMD components can offer.

But feel free to spend your money however you want to. It's still a 64 bit cpu vs. a 32 bit cpu.

buye_fx

caesar
09-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Well, the Athlon in 939 socket are a little pricey today, but ill go for that as soon as possible

Exper
09-08-2004, 01:30 PM
AMD rulez! :D

Skonk
09-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Does it say how many threads were used for rendering? Its not really a fair test unless 2-4 threads was set to take advantage of the p4's hyper threading.

I havn't look at the site so i may be wrong.

Jim.

Skonk
09-08-2004, 02:23 PM
And just out of interest i rendered that same scene myself on my 3.0GHz P4, and these are the results:

1 Thread = 156.8 seconds
4 Threads = 123.2 seconds

Now if the test on that site didn't use multi threading then with this type of increase turning it on would put the p4 in front.

Jim.

jacross
09-08-2004, 06:00 PM
First of all - I'm ordering a new system - I'm ordering the parts so I can build it myself.

And I will be using 533 fsb because of the mb - an Asus PC-DL Deluxe. Apart from having dual-Xeon with dual ddr support for under $200 it is also ATX form factor which means it'll fit nicely in the highly configurable Lian Li PC-6077 case.

Altogether I can put together a dual Xeon 3.06 ghz system with 2 meg ram, etc. for under $2000. Which means that for the $4000 + an opteron system would cost I can have a two node render farm with one of them also serving as the LW development box. That'll let me crank out frames quite a bit faster than a single opteron box.

To me that's a much better deal than anything using AMD components can offer.

But feel free to spend your money however you want to. It's still a 64 bit cpu vs. a 32 bit cpu.

buye_fx

buye_fx, that's a pretty decent choice for the MB... I was looking at it myself. In fact it's a great overall system choice! In the end however I did end up putting together a system with dual AMD Opterons, 2GB Ram, and 2HDD in a RAID1. Guess what! I spent $2K on it too! You can spend $4K on any system, whether it's Intel or AMD, but you can also put together a $2K system as well. I also purchased the MSI K8T Master2 FAR which is also a standard ATX board so it can fit into the great LianLi PC V-1000.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince you to buy an AMD system, and I'm definately not bashing the system you're putting together, it is definately a great choice. But having worked on my new dualie machine, as well as a couple of Opteron servers I've put together (for production), and not having a single problem with any of them, I'm afraid I cannot agree with your previous assessments regarding AMD. I've done rendering tests on my Dualie (and it's definately not the highest speed Opterons either), compared to my friends Dual 2.8GHz XEON (533MHz FSB)... and granted his system is slower than yours will be, my Opteron still definately holds it's own, often beating the XEON's. Definately nothing like the double the rendering times as exclaimed above. Granted, the old AMD Athlon XP and MP's were behind the curve as they weren't able to keep up with Intel, however the same cannot be said for AMD's Opteron and Athlon64 lines.

Lastly, like the new EMT64 XEON chips from Intel, AMD is 64-bit capable, however it still runs 32-bit natively. Without an OS and the software being optimized for 64-bit, the EMT64 XEON's and AMD Opterons are forced to run in 32-bit mode ONLY! This means any comparisons made between them with LW at this point in time are 32-bit only, thus make the comparisons still valid. Neither chip executes 2x32-bit streams at the same time to fill up it's '64-bit pipe'. 64-bit is only available through accessing an additional set of registered that is currently not accessable through the standard 32bit x86 instruction set that MS Windows and Lightwave were written to use. As far as the software is concerned, it doesn't even know those registers are there.

Ok, enough from me :)... just one more thought and the reason i went with AMD... I can plug in the new Dual Core AMD Opterons when they come out next year into the motherboard I purchased this year... the only thing I'll need is a bios update... now that's what i call upgradability! :D