PDA

View Full Version : rendering errors?

paladin82203
08-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Only been using LW for a little while now.
I've run into what look like rendering errors on a model I'm working on. I have raytracing turned on, and this is the only instance where I see these artifacts (black edges that seem to coincide with polys).
As I'm new to the software I'm sure t's something simple, so...anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

thanks in advance,
Al

mkiii
08-12-2004, 02:14 AM
these look like non planar polys. If you triple them the errors should go away. To do this go to modeler & using polygon selection mode (with nothing selected), press w to get the polygon stats window, press the + sign next to the Non-planar line which will select all those polys, then press SHIFT-t to triple them.

Alternatively...

You can use shadow mapping rather than ray traced shadows this problem shouldn't occur.

Or make the surface double sided.

One other thing to check is whether you have any 2 sided polys, again using the polygon stats window to select, then delete them.

JamesCurtis
08-12-2004, 09:52 AM
They could also be polys that are occupying the same space caused by an errant paste operation over top of each other.

mattclary
08-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Merge points, open Polygon statistics, look for non-planar and 2 point polys. Delete 2 point polys, triple non-planars as mkiii said.

James has a good point also.

paladin82203
08-12-2004, 12:04 PM
woo hoo! my first non planar polygons! Thanks everyone that did the trick!

Al