PDA

View Full Version : HD size questions

John Perkins
08-11-2004, 10:23 PM
I have had a VT3 for quite a while now, so I've forgotten much of my Amiga info. Hopefully someone can refresh my memory...

A friend of mine just bought an A4000 desktop with a Flyer. It works, but she's worried about the drive failing. I'd like to copy the sys: and work: partitions to another IDE drive for safe keeping.

How big of an IDE drive can the 4000D support?

Is there a Flyer SCSI drive size limitation?

Does anyone know a source for cheap SCSI CDroms? I can't believe they are still around $200.

Are replacement Flyer SCSI cables still available? Hers are a little worse for wear, but functional.

Thanks

tonsofpcs
08-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Not sure about IDE or the 4000, but on my 3000 [scsi harddrives], I have installed a 18.7 GB drive, the only limit seems to be that partitions need to be under 4 GB, otherwise errors occur. I will try to ask friends and see if they know, but otherwise the IDE limit is most likely between 2 GB and 32 GB as a power of 2.

tonsofpcs
08-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Also, the Flyer uses standard SCSI ribbon cables, you can find these cheap almost anywhere, just make sure its the right number of pins [I believe the flyer is 68 pin, but I am unsure]

John Perkins
08-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Seeing as PC's even have IDE size limits, I'm quite sure that the Amiga does too. I seem to remember a problem, but I just can't think of it.

The Flyer is definately 50 pin SCSI, but I was hoping to find the original Octopus cables. They route so much nicer than a bunch of flat cables hanging out the back.

I managed to find an old 2x SCSI CDROM and it works fine. Free is much better than $200 for a new one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just hope that someone remembers the IDE limit.

tonsofpcs
08-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Don't you use a zorro card to run the amiga on IDE instead of SCSI drives? I'm not sure about the 4000d, but the 3000 and 2500 I have both work on SCSI drives.

John Perkins
08-23-2004, 11:54 PM
No, the 4000D, like the 1200 and 600 had IDE onboard.

I'm still open to suggestions though. We haven't backed it up yet but otherwise it is running great.

Thanks

wilebill
08-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Here's the scoop:

"How big of an IDE drive can the 4000D support? "

With OS 3.1 or earlier, 2 gigs per partition, with a 4 gig max HD size. So if you have, for example, a 10 gig drive, you end up wasting 6 gigs of it.

If you have OS 3.9 (which does work with a T/F, BTW) then AFAIK, there is no drive size limit, but the first partition must contain the OS, and it has to be 2 gigs or less. After that you can do what you want. If you are using the drive only for storing stuff and won't put the OS on it, then the above warning does not apply.

"Is there a Flyer SCSI drive size limitation? "

Yes, but it's some ridiculously high number that will never come into play. Something like years of video.

"Does anyone know a source for cheap SCSI CDroms? I can't believe they are still around $200. "

Probably ebay. :(

Billy

John Perkins
09-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that information. It helps a lot.

tonsofpcs
09-03-2004, 12:47 PM
For some reason, "cheap" and "SCSI cdrom drive" don't work together. I've been looking for 2 years, I did find one at a garage sale, paid like a dollar for it and some random cables [non-related], but it didn't work properly [wouldn't spin up]. Also, check garage sales for computers, ask if you can open it up, you may find the cd drive is scsi :)

magnetic
09-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Hello

We have an Octopus Cable in stock for $125. Also I can sell you a Plextor SCSI drive with Amiga software for $35!

www.magneticsystemsnyc.com

Thanks

magnetic

PS we have tons of Amiga and Toaster/Flyer hardware and software and do service and repair