PDA

View Full Version : Capture Encoder Format Question

anthonymking
08-11-2004, 12:49 PM
We are trying to capture the feed from 3 cameras to disk, as well as our program out, as well, but it is taking up massive amounts of disk space.

Is there a codec that I can use to get great quality video at about the same file sizes as DV? For example, any of the uncompressed formats give me a file size of about ~82GB per hour as opposed to ~13GB per hour w/ DV. I only have about 165GB of disk space available for capture, so quality at a smaller filesize is a must.

Using Windows Media Encoder as a capture application, I can get great results at ~4GB per hour, but I can only record the program out and I don't get the fade transitions.

How do I add other codecs as an option in the Toaster. How can I get the Toaster to let me select WM9 as a video codec?

Thanks in advance for your help!

anthonymking
08-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Okay, I am an idiot. I have found the DV codec, but I am getting 320x240 poor quality capture. What am I missing here?

Also how do I get WM9 as a video codec option?

Jim_C
08-11-2004, 01:49 PM
DV Video Type 2 should be an option in your capture preferences of the Toaster.
It defaults to 720x480, i do not even see 320x240 as an option. Just 360 x (x).

If you have WMP9 installed wmv should show up as 'Microsoft Windows Media 9' in your drop down also. Although I am not sure how well it works as a capture codec thru the Toaster.

Jim

anthonymking
08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Jim. When viewing them through WMP on the Toaster they looked horrible. I moved them to another machine and they worked like a champ. Thanks again, Jim!