PDA

View Full Version : Academic and Commercial differences?

pvillotti
08-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find SPECS on the differences in the LW 3D 8 academic version and the full commercial version?

mgrusin
08-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Unless it's changed recently, there should be zero difference between the academic and commercial versions, except what you are allowed by the licensing to do with it (basically no paying work). This is on the honor system, there are no watermarks etc. (thank you Newtek for actually trusting your users). :)

-MG.

Skritter
08-11-2004, 12:39 AM
The only other difference is the means in which you can obtain it.

To buy it [Academic] you **MUST** be a student [of appropriate studies*].
There is then a six month waiting priod before being able to upgrade to Commercial.

WizCraker
08-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Actually you don't even have to be a student of "appropriate studies" I bought Lightwave as a High school student back in the day when it still cost $900 for education license. You don't have to buy directly from newtek for educational buys and you just have to show proof that you are a student in the current academic year.

Some companies such as Adobe will brand the program being as educational but they are the same as the pro license. Others like Robert McNeel & Associates that make Rhino3d allow students to buy at eductional price and after they graduate can use it for commercial use. However they are one of a handful that will allow that.

Skritter
08-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Well, here in Oz [Australia] , i had to prove I was doing studies in the appropriate feild [ie Multimedia and doing 3D]
:mad:

mattclary
08-11-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Skritter
Well, here in Oz [Australia] , i had to prove I was doing studies in the appropriate feild [ie Multimedia and doing 3D]
:mad:

Sounds like a reseller who isn't familiar with Newtek's policies. Newtek ultimately makes that decision, and they are very flexible.

pvillotti
08-11-2004, 07:44 AM
As usual...thanks again...

I am a multimedia artist moving from another software to LW as well as starting graduate school. Figured I might as well get it now while I can.

I agree... as well...Lightwave still puts forth a good will gesture. I am sure everyone's back is scratched but a lot of SW companies are getting very odd with there academic versions.

;)

mgrusin
08-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Definitely get it as a student! :D

I wish I had bought more software as a poor student (but there you go). I've been thinking about getting Mathematica, but the commercial version is in the neighborhood of $1200. :eek: Makes me consider going back to grad school.

-MG.

pvillotti
08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Considering school is running me in the area of around $20K a year...you would do better to buy the commercail software than go for the student discount...:p