PDA

View Full Version : SnoBot finished project.

dwburman
08-10-2004, 12:47 PM
The video that contains the SnoBot (was in the WIP section a while back) is done and I have it up on my website. It is a promo for a Christian music festival called "Winterfest" The video is a combination of 2D and 3D animation and video. I did all of the art and 3D animation and most of the 2D animation. I had a hand in editing but that was primarily handled by a coworker.

This is a mix of cel-shaded 3D, hand drawn/painted 2D and video. Software used was Lightwave, Photoshop, Aura, After Effects, DFX+, Particle Illusion, Media 100 (rough edit) and Final Cut Pro.

The video is just over 4 minutes long and weighs in at 33.5MB. It is compressed using Quicktime's MPEG-4 compressor so you'll need Quicktime 6 or higher.

This project was mostly for fun since we went way beyond what was required and payed for but darn it, I wanted to animate a giant robot.

The link is on the first page at http://dwburman.com

Enjoy :)

adrian
08-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Rather than just post a link, could you not post a few sample images here as well as a) 33mb is a big file to download and b) some of us don't have QT6 to view it anyway.

Adrian.

emperorchuck
08-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Indeed! The WIP was quite good, but Quicktime gets friggin' annoying, imho. Stills from it would be wonderful.

paulk
08-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Well, I've got QT 6.5.1 AND cable Internet service, so I took a look.

Very nice!

Just a few nits to pick:

1. The music kinda overwhelms the people speaking in the video. If it's important to have somebody say something in the video, it's important for him/her to be heard.

2. When the giant snobot bursts out of the ground at the blocked pass, it looks like the left foot comes down on the snowman.

3. At the end, when the snobot lands at the auditorium, it's regular 3D animation, not 2D. It doesn't seem to match the rest of the video. No biggie, it's probably just me.

4. This may be a mega-nit. If the distribution channel for this video is the Internet, you're going to have to make it a LOT smaller. Cable/DSL Internet service is still in the minority. Colleges would probably be wired, but do you want to reach people who aren't in college or maybe home on break?

Beyond the nits, very, very niiiice.

dwburman
08-10-2004, 04:58 PM
hey thanks for the comments.

The soundbites do get buried somewhat, but when played through a surround system they stick out more. Actually it's maybe too noticable when the audio gets turned up for them on a surround system. I think it has something to do with the way the audio is panned. The .mov on my site is only mono to help get the size down.

The reason it looks like the bot steps on the snowman is because it does. It was the quickest way to get him inside :)

At the end I thought it'd look out of place to have a celshaded robot standing in front of a photo.

The primary distibution is DVD. I just compressed this for my website.

I'll try to post some stills later tonight or tomorrow.

dwburman
08-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Okay, I have a bunch of stills and some brief descriptions of what was used to make the images on my site now.

http://dwburman.com/WF_stills/WFstills.html

alblil
08-12-2004, 01:29 AM
soooooo feakin' awsome, really very cool, i do agree about the audio, your ending is cool too, although i was expecting like a big climax, like him going through the roof, but i knew you couldn't do that.

somnambulance
08-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Nice work, you gave me an idea on something I want to try now. I thought you were going to do it, but you ended up gong somewhere else with it. When I finish it, you will definately know that I got the idea from your reel here.

as far as people whitout quicktime... how can you be using Lightwave, working with graphics and not have the latest version of QuickTime Pro?