PDA

View Full Version : Remmler Array: Boolean Subtraction problem...

FunkMasterC
08-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone...this is my first post here and I would really appreciate some help with the problem that I have.

I'll lay out the steps that I am following and mark out my problems on the way. (The process I am using is probably very flawed so if you have any suggestions...):

I want to make a model based on the following images...
Remmler Array 2D (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/remmler-array.jpg)
Remmler Array 3D (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/other/remmler-model.jpg)

Step 1: I place all the points that define the entire 2D frame.
(without the triangular and rectangular holes)

Step 2: I select all the points in order and select "create polygon".
(some problems here as I was selecting the points in order but the final polygon had the wrong points connected together - solved it by deleting the problematic points)

Step 3: I extrude the polygon to finish with a 3d object.

Step 4: I repeat the above processes to create the 4 "triangles" that need to be cut out from the model (in a new layer, of course).

Step 5: I select the first layer as foreground and the second layer as background and try to perform a "Boolean - Subtraction".
RETURNS ERROR: "Internal buffer too small to perform operation"

Step 6: I place each "triangular" object on its own layer.

Step 7: I repeat the "Boolean - Subtraction" one at a time for each of the 4 triangular layers, each layer as the background.
The first "triangle" is successfully "cut" from the model. The following 3 "triangles" are NOT subtracted - The "cut" marks are made and can be seen, but the shape is not subtracted.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

mattclary
08-10-2004, 07:03 AM
I would take a different approach. It will be fairly easy to get the basic hexagonal shape. I would create that then boolean out the rectangles, then array or copy that to make the three linked shapes. Then model the little thingies at the top and botton out of boxes.

FunkMasterC
08-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks Matt, I did start out doing that, but I was getting the same problem when I tried to Boolean out the rectangle shapes.

I've actually found out what the problem was:

After doing the first Boolean, I needed to Merge the points and Triple the mesh. From then on afterwards the Boolean operation worked fine.

The question I have now is: Do I need Merge and Triple after every operation I now perform on the model?

mattclary
08-10-2004, 11:35 AM
You should definitely merge every time, tripling.... You'll just have to try it.

Instead of using one big hexagonal poly, you should try something like this, a rectangle and two triangles then sliced crosswise mutliple times.

Basically, by adding the slices, you are creating more... control points?... for the boolean operation to use. You may also need the extra definition when you detail the triangular portions. I suggest the Solid Drill > Stencil toll to add your details.

mattclary
08-10-2004, 11:38 AM

mattclary
08-10-2004, 11:40 AM
****! How hard is it to attach a freaking picture.... :rolleyes:

John Fornasar
08-10-2004, 08:31 PM
What Matt said, and...

when doing booleans, put all 6 rectangles into the background and cut them out in one shot.

I used a 6 sided disk here, but for the amount of detail you need, I'd do separate pieces as Matt said.

FunkMasterC
08-11-2004, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys...

All that info really helped sort out my problems.

The model is going to be used in a low resolution image (a plugin for a game) so I didn't need to worry about getting really into detail. To get all the surface grooves I applied a Bump Image Map to the surface which was a lot quicker than modelling all the little rectangles and grooves. When I can, I'll post a pic of the final result.

I may even try to make a high resolution model...it would be really cool if others wanted to use it in their renders.

LFGabel
08-11-2004, 04:01 AM
You also might try to stencil the 2d shape, delete the triangles, then extrude that.