PDA

View Full Version : Does it HAVE to be a Pentium?

paulnaas
08-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi everyone,

Quick question (and a quick answer would be greatly appreciated - I have to move on this...)

I'm in the market for a laptop, due to the nature of my job. I use Lightwave a lot in said job, and I'm wondering about the processor requirement as listed in the system specs.

Does the CPU have to be a Pentium? It's the only processor listed in the specs - I've seen several mentions here of folks running Athlons and others, but I'm wondering specifically about the Centrino chip and others I might encounter while shopping (frantically) for a laptop.

This machine won't be my main Lightwave seat, but it will need to run the app at a reasonable speed.

I work at home a lot but also need to travel to my client's location fairly frequently, thus the need for mobility.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Lightwolf
08-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Well, since Centrino is intels brand for the processor/WLAN chip combo, and the processor is actually a Pentium-M, you should do fine with a Centrino based system :)

Cheers,
Mike

paulnaas
08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks! Wow - a response from Germany! That's so cool - but isn't it kinda late there now? ;)

Thanks again - I really appreciate the info!

Lightwolf
08-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by paulnaas
Thanks! Wow - a response from Germany! That's so cool - but isn't it kinda late there now? ;)

Thanks again - I really appreciate the info!
Not really, 17:02, or, 5:02 p.m. :)

You're welcome.

BTw, those Pentium-Ms are pretty decent performers, and support SSE2 as well...

Cheers,
Mike

Big Jay
08-09-2004, 10:14 PM
I have a centrino and it works fine. Make sure you got decent ram and you'll be fine.

Lynx3d
08-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Have a Centrino-notebook too, 1.5GHz Pentium-M.
It beats my Athlon 1800+ (1.53GHz) with a lead of somewere around 10% (LW7.5 at least), not bad for a mobile CPU...

But clearly not as fast as a P4 especially in the radiosity scenes, however with Hypervoxels it looks just as good as the Athlon :P

But technically any x86 CPU should run Lightwave without problems, no matter if Crusoe, Efficeon, C3 or whatever niche-products are out there...

paulnaas
08-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the help, folks. I ended up with a Toshiba laptop with a 17" widescreen monitor, a 3.0 gig P4 (yeah, after all that), and a big gob of memory. So far, so good...

Thanks again. This is a great resource; one I'm sure I'll be using more frequently from here on in.