PDA

View Full Version : Model disappears when moving in layout!

red fox
08-09-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm trying to do deformation tests on a model Iíve created but when moving the joints of the model; the model disappears leaving only the bones in view. This also happens when I just move the model around in layout then reappears when I stop. Scrubbing though the time bar also disappears the model.
Iíve tried to turn down display resolutions, sub-patch level but makes no difference. I'm at a loss! My PC is quite a high spec machine so Iím sure that's fine.

Any ideas?

faulknermano
08-09-2004, 06:33 AM
go to layout's DISPLAY OPTIONS and look for the Bounding Box Threshold. increase the threshold number.

hrgiger
08-09-2004, 11:10 AM
And then read the manual.

mrpg
08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
shameful

:D

faulknermano
08-10-2004, 02:56 AM
actually i think why some people ask these kinds of questions is because it's unexpected behavior to newcomers. you cant always make a connection between a problem and an article in the manual because you might not find the answer by simply doing a search for "disappear." (i just did a check right now and it didnt touch bounding box threshold). some simple questions, i believe are still within the realm of reasonable asking. :) i think we must all be sensitive to the difference.

hrgiger
08-10-2004, 06:43 AM
I was just suggesting that reading through the manual might be helpful for these kinds of questions. It's not a matter of being sensitive or not.

dmg3d
08-10-2004, 07:06 AM
First, maybe there should be a "new to lightwave" category for the forums (or a "I'm-In-A-Hurry-To-Create-Some-Really-Cool-Stuff-And-I-Don't-Want-To-Spend-It-Looking-Through-Manuals"). Sometimes throwing out a quick question is faster than going through a "bible".

Second, when I see the words "deformation","bones", and "scrubbing" in a sentence, the word "newcomer" does not come to mind...

-Dave

faulknermano
08-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
I was just suggesting that reading through the manual might be helpful for these kinds of questions. It's not a matter of being sensitive or not.

oh, you werent the reason why i said we must be sensitive. it was mrpg's post that prompted to do that.

Second, when I see the words "deformation","bones", and "scrubbing" in a sentence, the word "newcomer" does not come to mind...

maybe you're right. but i myself wouldnt presume that. and even if i did, a question is still a question. you can answer it, or not.

hey, i agree with you: people should excerise some initiative. i'm a big proponent of that. :) but people who "answer" dont say anything new. even hrgiger's advice of "read the manual" offers nothing new (although all-in-all i have nothing against that). "shameful" offers not only nothing new but it's a cheap shot that DOES NOTHING but potentially puts a bad taste in the mouth of the questioner.

if you dont like the question, or dont like the spirit it was asked, or dont like the questioner's "lax" attitude, then won't silence be sufficient?

Tom Wood
08-10-2004, 06:46 PM
There really should be a 'Quick-Start' section at the very beginning of the manual that addresses all the repetitive questions that show up here. I thought there was something wrong with my video card when I first encountered the bounding box issue, and it was someone ele's question that clued me in. 'Bounding box threshold' is not a term that a new user will recognize, much less search on.

Also, keyframing things in place, the number of OpenGL lights, the subpatch level, smoothing in the Surface Editor, saving a render, and a few others come to mind.

TW

Riplakish
08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Tom, interested in working on a FAQ?

As a n00b myself, I've asked my fair share of painfully stupid questions, but I have to say I've yet had a hostile response... Usually silence, and I take that as "Thats a painfully stupid question".

I'd be happy to help format it and keep it edited. Heck, I'll even take a swipe at starting it if no one else is interested.

-R

red fox
08-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Yes your all right, it was a stupid question to ask, but in my own defence I did check the bounding box limit and thought that I set it to 100,000, but as it turns out it was 10,000.

Thanks for all the replies, as none of us wouldnít learn a thing !!!

hrgiger
08-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Riplakish

-R

You know, I've been thinking lately of putting together a FAQ page on my website (which is currently down at the moment) for all things Lightwave.

When I used Hash's Animation Master, that was one of the things I liiked about their website was they had a FAQ for every category (lighting, animation, texturing, modeling, etc....) I think I'm going to put together something like that for us.

Tom Wood
08-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Riplakish

I'm not yet web-literate enough to do any of the technical stuff, but I -think- I'm a pretty good editor. And, since I'm still just out of newbie diapers, I think I could help make the wording more accessible. So, yeah, I'd be willing to read and comment if that's a help. But I still think this is something that Newtek should do.

TW

Silkrooster
08-14-2004, 07:40 PM
I agree, I think a FAQ page on Newtek's Web site is a must. A great place for newbees to start, then if they can not find an answer go ahead and post a question.
I have seen others tell newbees sometimes rather rudely to find the information elsewhere. I won't point fingers, but this forum is in place to help others not to tell others " I know more than you do" type attitute. I don't mean to put any one down here, I just beleive that if you think the person should look in a manual, then tell that person what page to look on or chapter, etc. Some people are very affended when spoken to in a very direct manner while learning. It could even stop someone from learning. We don't neccesarily have to baby some one, but we do need to think how we want to be treated if it was us asking that same very question. I realize that some questions are asked repeatily and that could annoy some people. Which is why a FAQ's page is necesary. I also think that a way to search these forums is needed. I beleive that when posting, the poster should have to mark a box for a catagory to make searching easier.
For those that are just learning Lightwave, go ahead and ask any question you wish. Someone will try and give you the answer your looking for. So good luck in your learning experiance. Have fun and enjoy the creative ride your about to begin.;)
-Silkrooster-

Riplakish
08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I have to say, if putting a FAQ together were really high on Newtek's list of things to do, it'd probably be done by now. I do see that they have a FAQ about using the web site, and searching the archives (which is mentionedm above), but nothing on a per-product
FAQ.

I'll take the ball on this, and contact tech support and the web admin, and see if there is any interest in them taking it on, and, if not, perhaps I'll start one up, and see if it takes on a life of its own (or not, and
there isn't enough interest to keep it going).

Judas_Childman
08-19-2004, 10:03 PM
You mean a FAQ like this:
http://www.newtek.com/support/tech/index.html

Silkrooster
08-19-2004, 10:36 PM
From what I can tell it looks quite out dated. I didn't even know it was there. It's a good start. But it does not answer most of the repeditive questions found on this forum.
Silk

MrKnight
08-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey red fox, Thereís no such thing as a stupid question! When you are learning something fun and new, you want an answer as fast as you can. When people tell you to read the manual or look it up, donít listen to them. Ask any question no matter how simply the question is and people who REALLY want to help, will help you. After all, isnít that why we have these boards?

Riplakish
08-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Judas_Childman
You mean a FAQ like this:
http://www.newtek.com/support/tech/index.html

After looking (I had been hoping), I think the latest LW version referenced was 5.0, and a good chunk of the help was for WfW 3.11 and Windows NT 4.0, one of which is a dead platform, the other of which will be one by year's end.

Its clearly out of date, hence the interest in getting something... more... modern?... in place.

KeithJ
08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I remember an old saying.. something like.... "if you cant say something worthwhile don't say anything"

If I was told to "read the manual" I'd take that as meaning "find out for yourself, as you deserve no help here!" which kind of goes against the point of a forum.

The manual is a massive document and I have read it many times. Unfortunatly I only remember anything that I actually am working on at the time.. All the rest just disapears from my brain. Rather than plough through the manual everytime I need to find an answer I simply do a search in the forum.. If I can't find anything I post a question.. This is usually a much quicker and far less frustraighting way of finding answers.

Newbies need all the help we can give them (I am still a Newbie in many areas and I've been using Lightwave since version 5), after all we dont wont to put people off using our favorite product in favour of some other one do we?

Just a thought but isn't every question is a simple one if you already know the answer!

Keith