PDA

View Full Version : katana

miso popovic
08-09-2004, 05:14 AM
There has been some jedi weapon's posted so i thought i make a bit more traditional weapon :)

Hervé
08-09-2004, 09:19 AM
nice render you got here , dare to shre you light settings....

did u modeled the threads of the sword?;)

@+

richdj
08-09-2004, 11:29 AM
:D Excellent work :D

Rich

adrian
08-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Nice clean render, but what are the marks on the metal (I don't mean the Japanese lettering but the other marks)?

Adrian.

miso popovic
08-09-2004, 01:48 PM
tnx for nice comments

Harve: Long live HDRI! :)
The setting is simple- one ball encompasing the scene with a HDRI as surface and luminosity set to 100%
One area light on the side,near the ground with intensity 25%
One spotlight affecting only the threads on the handels
Global Light Intensity:50%
Ambient Intensity:25%
Radiosity on, FPrime

The threads are modeled, with cloths surface on them.
Maybe a small tip here: The best way IMHO is to make a box (thicknes and lenght of the thred) in modeler and create an UVmap before you start deforming it to fit the hadle or whatever you're modeling. This way you get a nice UVmap, and can easly apply to it a texture. :)

Richdj:Tnx:)

Adrian: the mark's are a reflection of the person making the photo of the sword's :)

Hervé
08-09-2004, 02:10 PM
hey thanks, really a good lighting.... and our sweety F_Prime.... me too like...:D :D

Nice tip for the threads....;)

riki
08-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Really nice work, I like the soft shadows and the floor texture just sets it off. One small pick, I'm not too keen on is the techno font you've choosen for a watermark, it kind of breaks with the rest of the scene. But like I said really nice work.

miso popovic
08-10-2004, 02:39 AM
What techno font!? :) I kinda saw it as japanees version of our letters :) i guess it could be seen as techno (for a HC/Emmo/alter Rock drummer to be associated with anything techno is an insult! :) :) ) lol

veljko
08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
or subconsciencely you actually think techno rocks and have choosen this font as an expression of that subconsciencen wish to glorify all that is ttechno?
:D
-cool image btw:)

riki
08-10-2004, 09:00 PM
yer I see it used quite a lot on club flyers. Some more fruity japanese fonts here.

http://www.04.jp.org/
http://www.fontgraphic.com/zx26/index_tes.html

ardee
08-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Great work! That "reflection of the person making the photo" thing is weird :D, but everything else is just superb.

Zarathustra
08-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Oh, that's nice. I don't usually just jump in like a little fanboy and shout, "Nice Work!" but I gotta say, "nice work".

miso popovic
08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
tnx for positive feedback, like i said-that's the reflection of the guy making the photo, so there's nothing wierd about that reflection! If i couldn't explain what that reflection was, that would then qualify as a wierd reflection, but since i did give a nice explanation that it CLEARLY NOT the case here! :) :) :) :) lol :) :)

danilo
08-15-2004, 05:55 AM
If i couldn't explain what that reflection was, that would then qualify as a wierd reflection, but since i did give a nice explanation that it CLEARLY NOT the case here!

Yeah,try to say something like that to client.You will be OUT in NY minute.
danilo

veljko
08-15-2004, 09:03 AM
danilo please use the "quote", "end quote" markers when quoting someone,
its really confusing, cos i was going up and down the thread to find where you gave that nice explanation for the reflection..

thx

miso popovic
08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
>Yeah,try to say something like that to client.You will be OUT in NY >minute.

Hate those stupid-no-imagination-no-vision-no-sense clients! Luckly this one is not for a client :)
Ofcourse I'm not getting any money for it, but i gues you can't have it all! :)

Kryptic
08-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Man nice picture, the ironic thing is I just started to model a sword. Although I wasn't thinking about adding the threads. God I can't stop looking at that. Something about samurai swords that I like. Any tips on modeling the blade itself? So far I used the sub-patch weight to get the sharp edge but I'm not even sure if that's the right approach.

Again good image, hope I can make something that looks half as good.

miso popovic
08-16-2004, 04:52 AM
Kryptic- tnx for the nice reply, the sword is not to difficult, pritty straight-forward geometry and with Extender(plug-in in modeler you just have to use, it's to good!!! if you're not allready using it) it's an easy ride :). I rarely use sub-patch weight for sharper edges, i prefer to use -band saw pro- on the geometry,when it's cubic in form, to get that sharp edge.

miso popovic
08-16-2004, 04:57 AM
yea, samurai sword's rule. They say the soul of the samurai is in his sword :)

erroLux
08-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Great job, FPrime is certainly on my wish list...

Kryptic
08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
man I have no clue how you got the thread to wrap around like you did :D

I tried to bend mine around but just doesn't seem to work right. Guess I may need to bend it the best I can and then move points.

miso popovic
08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
here is how i did it:
1)you make a box with sufficient amount of divisions i one layer, in the next you make the handle(the basic shape you wish to wrap around) and position it like in the picture no.1. Now, before you bend anything create and UVmap of the box you just made, so youll have a nicve UVmap for texturing(like in the picture no.4, offcourse youll need to make small ajustments to make it perfect)

2)then using rotate and move you just follow the cillindar, basicly working just in the side wiev of modeler unitll you reach the top point, like in the picture no.2
3)now you need to bend the "rope", you do this by again using rotate and move(picture no3).

You do this undill you make a 90degree turn and then just go around the cilindar again, untill you reach again the top and then do the same turn and again go around the cilindar untill you connect with the place you started from! You should get something like the pic no.4, with a little tweaking around the bending area. (i turned it into splines, and to get that thicker look i use bandsaw on the side polygons to make the edges sharper).
:)

Kryptic
08-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Hmm interesting, I don't have any real katanas to model from and I'm using photos I've found as reference. I never noticed how it went around. It's certainly gonna take me some time to get it right cause I already curved my handle. I just wonder if I should redo it instead.

pixeltek
09-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey, cool. We can get into a sword fight ;)

http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/3dLW46.htm

Karl

miso popovic
09-11-2004, 02:22 PM
:) yea, but i must warn you, i do Aikido :):) nice pic btw, the blade could have a better reflection dhou IMHO.But still-nice one.

pixeltek
09-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Only Karate here, miso_, but I was always interested in Aikido.

BTW, I do have katanas; a real one and a Paul Chen (folded layers) remanufactured one.

Yes, I agree on the metallic look. Still have to experiment with that more. I'm sure it's lighting (you were using radiosity, I believe, but that should not really matter) more than anything. I will re-address that in due time. Not done with the samurai image yet. As I learn more, I go back to change things.

Any suggestions?

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/index.htm