PDA

View Full Version : Newtek video tutorials

starbase1
08-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi All,
I downloaded a bunch of video tutorial's in .MOV format at:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/videos/

And they look very usefull - but the sound is awful, it breaks up to complete incomprehensibility!

I've tried them using Quicktime, Realplayer, and windows media player, and its the same in all of them.

I'm using windows XP.

Can anyone play these successfully?

All clues gratefully received.

Cheers,
Nick

jamesl
08-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Although the audio is a bit rough at points, I have to say I've learned more about LW in the 2 hours I took to watch (and re-watch) these videos than I've learned in the past 6 years. Lee deserves a medal for doing this.

j

starbase1
08-09-2004, 05:07 AM
It's worse than rough - on my PC I can't make out a word, lit's like disrted muttering in an echo chamber...

What player (and version) did you use to watch them?

Cheers,Nick

Matt
08-09-2004, 05:11 AM
When was the last time you updated QuickTime?

starbase1
08-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Saturday!
:D

caesar
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
QT 6.5, the videos sounds were perfect here! Do u have another machine to test?

The lscript movies were very cool! IŽd love to see another videos tut about hv, lightning and part dynamics ;) - (did NT got it?...)

Joker II
08-10-2004, 08:10 AM
[i]Originally posted by jamesl
Lee deserves a medal for doing this.

Yep, I agree, he does deserve one

The way he gives a descent explanation and does this with a great sense of humor in it from time to time :D

I definitly would like NewTek to ask Lee wether he would be able to make some additional tuts ;)

And starbase, alltough the sound wasn't perfect, I didn't have any problem in understanding what was said, maybe there's something wrong with your sound card?

See ya,
Joker ;)

starbase1
08-10-2004, 09:12 AM
There's something odd - I reinstalled Quicktime and its no better. Hardly surprising as it does exactly the same when played with windows media player and real player...

The sound card works fine for everything else, so I'm now at a complete loss..

At least I know its not the files I guess!

Nick

caesar
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Watch em in your work, any other machine

jamesl
08-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Upgrade your directX?

j

caesar
08-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jamesl
Upgrade your directX?

j

Upgrade your ears...:D

Jim_C
08-11-2004, 10:36 AM
I know on most if not all systems with a Toaster card installed, there is an incompatibilty with QT. At least on my 2 machines and several others I have heard from.

Same thing you guys mention, video fine audio horrible. play on a non Toaster machine, or the machine prior to installing the Toaster sounds great.

so... whatever that means.....
:confused:
:rolleyes:

Jim

rebelr6
08-11-2004, 10:43 AM
I started playing the vids before they'd downloaded fully (the quicktime player allows you to do this), and I found you get crackling and break-up of the audio :eek: If I wait until they finish then play them the audio drop outs are gone :D

I have to say the videos are brilliant. Best time I ever spent learning about Lightwave. Hats off to the guy who made these.

starbase1
08-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated!

Unfortunately it still does not work!

I really thought that re installing Dirct X might do the trick, but still no joy.

I also don't have toaster, so that would appear to be irrelevant...

I'm trying to work out what the common factor might be, with all the players messing up the audio, and the sound card drivers are about the only thing I can think of (anyone know better?)

Sounds like (ha!) I should check for new versions of the drivers...

Oh, and I'd love to watch them on the PC at ok, but I work for a multinational bank that makes billions. And they hate to waste those profits on proper equipment for staff, so the PC there is struggling to run NT4, has no sound card, and is on a lan that' slower than a dial up modem link.

:mad:

Well done the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Cheers,
Nick

Jim_C
08-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Do you have any conversion app such as QTpro that will make the QT file something else? wmv, mpg, etc?

Maybe a way around the problem.

starbase1
08-11-2004, 12:33 PM
I've Fixd it!!!!!

And it was not the soundcard drivers either!

I found that if I turn of Total Recorder, it plays back just fine.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

For those not in the know, its a program that can record any sound that goes through the sound card - very handy for capturing online audio.

Thjanks to everyone who chipped in, it all helped eliminate possible causes!

Cheers,
Nick

jamesl
08-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey! I've been looking for a good audio grabber... thanks!

j

starbase1
08-11-2004, 03:35 PM
yes, is seriously great for that.

It's basically an alternate sound driver, so it will quite literally grab anything, including sound from protected DVD's, net streaming audio. It can turn off system noises while recording, and the full one can be scheduled. I mainly use it to get the BBC listen again stuffonto my MP3 player.

Cheers,
Nick