PDA

View Full Version : Vector editor for use with Lightwave?

aniboy2000
08-08-2004, 04:57 PM
I often need to make my own shapes (polygons, polylines, curves, etc.) in Lightwave, but Lightwave's editing tools for these are, for most purposes, useless.
I've been resorting to making a hi-res shape in Paint Shop Pro, exporting it as a TIFF, converting it to .AI, etc, in Adobe Streamline, and then loading it using the EPSF importer in Lightwave. As you can imagine, this is ridiculously tedious, not to mention that PSP's shape tools aren't much better than Lightwave's.
I used AutoCAD 2000 LT in school last year, and I think that CAD is just right for what I need, but exporting is still a bit tedious, and the software's way more than I can afford. The same goes for Adobe Illustrator, which would probably be the best choice.

With all this in mind, can anyone suggest any simple freeware or cheap shareware CAD software (with a UI similar to AutoCAD's), or a decent vector image editor?

sadkkf
08-08-2004, 05:08 PM
I haven't tried this, but PSP does export to ESP format. Do you really need to convert a TIFF to AI if you can create an EPS?

aniboy2000
08-08-2004, 05:18 PM
PSP 7, which is the one I have, only supports exporting raster data to EPS. It can export vectors to WMF and EMF, which LW doesn't seem to support.

sadkkf
08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Rats. Sorry, but I thought it was worth a try.

cresshead
08-09-2004, 04:00 PM
for vector artwork i use corel draw, just bought corel draw 11 suite for 39 from amazon.co.uk....way cheap!..it's oem as in there's no printed manuals but i've been a user of corel products from 1995/96 with corel 5,6,7,8 and 9..then jumped to 11 when this deal came up a few weeks back...i'm sure you'll find a simlar deal around for amazon.com

corel has a great suite of apps and is simple to learn too.

later

Maxx
08-09-2004, 04:16 PM
If you're still a student, you can get some pretty good deals from Adobe or Macromedia - personally, I think Illustrator is the way to go. CS is pretty good - you'll have to save your .ai files in version 8 or earlier format, but other than that it's a snap. And Freehand, though clunky in my experience, is also a fine vector editor. And with student discount pricing, it may not be as out of reach as it seems right now...

*almost forgot this* Also, there's a suite of tools for Illustrator that allows drawing with CAD-like properties - not sure how full-featured it is, or even what it's called right now, but I remember seeing it and thinking "hmmmm.... might be worth checking out...." I'll see if I can dredge the name from the dark recesses of my brain.