PDA

View Full Version : kinda OT - Dual monitors *and* TV-out ?

nixx
08-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey bunch,

I 'm wondering if there is a display card available that can support both 2 monitors and TV-out at the same time (while having good OpenGL performance)? Maybe the new GeForce 6800 ?

I 'm looking to add a second monitor to a couple of systems but without losing the TV-out functionality (for previewing work on external broadcast monitors).

I know many 'wavers are well-informed when it comes to stuff like this, that's why I 'm asking here. Any help/pointers appreciated :)

thanks,
nick

Tom Wood
08-08-2004, 11:37 AM
I have the nVidia 380XGL that is dual monitor with TV out, but I've never been able to get anything -out- of the TV out. I probably don't have it set up right, but I can't find any way to set that feature. I send still frame LW renders to the VT3 card for preview on a NTSC monitor.

TW

nixx
08-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks Tom, I currently run those systems on GeForceFXs, and they work fine with one monitor + TV out. But when I add a second monitor, the TVout is gone and can't be re-enabled unless I disable the second monitor.
I know you can have an excellent solution based on the VT board, but I can't justify the addition of two VTs to the budget just for broadcast preview purposes :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input, anyway :)

If anyone else has any idea (I 've heard rumours that the new GeForce 6800 does what I need), I 'd appreciate any more input.

thanks !

nick

Lynx3d
08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
The only card AGP i know that really supports 3 display devices is the Matrox Parhelia.
But i'd rather get a PCI card to drive the TV...

The other possibility: Get one of those Xeon boards with 2 PCI-E slots and put in two cards :D

Tom Wood
08-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey Nixx,

Do you know of a way to get real time output from LightWave to VT and have it show up on a NTSC monitor?

TW

nixx
08-08-2004, 03:51 PM
I think there is a plugin somewhere that does that - it's basically another option in the "Render Display" dropdown. I 'm not sure though, I 'll have to look into it, and unfortunately I don't currently use a VT :(

I 'll look it up and let you know if I find it though.

nick

prospector
08-08-2004, 07:18 PM
I just got mine to do that 2 monitors and a s-video out
OR 3 monitors out.

Came with the mobo onboard video (ATI9100) in conjunction with my ATI X800.

With any card (other than specialty) you can 2 of something (2 monitors or a monitor and s-video) but not all three from 1 card.
So I put my X800 card driving 2 monitors for layout and modeler and the onboard video driving another monitor (via s-video) for the panels to stay open on.

For the atual broadcasting of video I run the renders thru the VT and out to a TV by keeping the VT running in the background.and using a switchbox to run the onboard video from the s-video out to the VT s-video in the when checking textures for video I just hit the button on the switchbox and the output goes to the TV.