PDA

View Full Version : Corner of Boredom & Apathy (street scene)

nic0880
04-01-2003, 09:34 AM
http://www.cappuccinocowgirls.com/nicole/models/corner_boredom_apathy.jpg

I just recently finished this street scene.
Just wanted to get some constructive criticism.
Hope it's well recieved.
:D

My URL : http://nicole.cappuccinocowgirls.com

ChandlerL
04-01-2003, 04:33 PM
The scene shows a lot of promise. The big thing for me is the texturing of the building. Looks "too procedural." Other than the need for dirt/grime, I would put some detail in the texturing.. Bricking, facing, etc. May be cracking some of the stonework using geometry?

danilo
04-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi,
for reference,try to put box 6" high next to hydrant,another one on the stairs......add some more on diferent places,just to see some proportions.I think they are wrong(size of handrail comparing to waterhydrant....etc)
Danilo

renatolazzaroni
04-02-2003, 04:27 AM
don't you want to put buildings on the right of the pic, instead of that patch of grey sky ? This would "close" the space.
As such, the scene looks at little unreal, but maybe that is what you want.
Just a comment.

Renato

nic0880
04-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice.

And yes, I was trying to go for something a little off from reality.
I think I need to make it more glum and dirty, play around with lighting. It was supposed to look like it was leading to nowhere, nothingness.

I definitely think I need to "dirty" it up. I will have to mess around with that. Adding "defects" to the geometry itself seems like a great idea, too.

I thought something was off with the scale, but when you stare at something for forever you lose your prespective.

Mebek
04-02-2003, 11:14 AM
As far as I know (which may not be very far), there should either be more space between the buildings, or they should be joined together. Usually when buildings are built, there needs to be enough room for the construction people to get around the site. But then again, this is a realist approach, and you said yourself that you were looking for an "off-reality" look.

Maybe you could use some different lighting techniques, making use of the Inverse Distance*2 falloff in the lights panel (this is how lights in the real world fall off, after all).

And I agree with everyone else -- dirty it up!

But I like the idea of the intersection of boredom and apathy -- perhaps you could have characters looking like they've got nothing to do and don't care. Just a thought.

nic0880
04-02-2003, 09:15 PM
http://www.cappuccinocowgirls.com/nicole/pics/fin.jpg

Messed around with it a bit.
Played with textures and lighting, made it alot more glum.
Also gave the buildings more space in between.

groodwanderer
04-02-2003, 10:03 PM
yes this is a step in the right direction. I especially like that all the buildings have the same look. It really grates on the eyes. I was going to say give them some character but then i realized that would go against the whole theme of the pic. However i think that the pic is still missing something can't quite figure out what. Maybe try adding a broke down car? I don't know just seems that boredom and apathy should seem more pathetic to me. I really like this idea.

d8ed
04-03-2003, 12:32 PM
a couple of things.. a reflection map would be good.. you can always take a straight on render of your street and put it on a polygon and put it across from the street so that the street is reflecting itself.. also seal the street off with another building at the end this way it doesnt end with a sky texture. also do the same on the near side so that the windows will have something to reflect again. if you're really going for that buildings in the middle of nowhere look at least extend your ground plane so that it's not just white.

and definitely turn down the reflection on the windows, they look like mirrors. or at least add some jitter since most glass panes that size arent completely flat and they distort the image somewhat. also your street sign is about 3 times too high.. it looks as if you're trying really hard to have your audience read it and "get" the image.

also try to find some kind of focus for the scene.. it's currently the same intensity all around and that just confuses the eye and doesnt lead it anywhere. good start and good luck :D

nic0880
04-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the great tips, d8ed.
Like your site by the way.
I am working on fixing those problems right now.
Hopefully playing around with the camera angle will help focus the image.