PDA

View Full Version : G4 vs Intel

twister47
08-07-2004, 11:46 PM
My girlfriend's looking at powerbooks right now and and went on apple.com to look at em.

The G4 is only around 1.5Ghz? I dont know the first thing about Mac's but is compareable to the GHz numbers on Pentiums?

Lowly Designer
08-08-2004, 01:31 AM
G4 powerbooks Rock!

Get one! GET ONE!

Right after that little outburst :D I may be able to help.
I don't want to start a massive debate over macs and pc's but the GHz ratings don't mean as much on macs as they seem to do on pc's. However they give an indication of comparison with other macs.

I have found that macs seem to weather slightly better than pc's with regard to performance longevity eg you don't have to keep upgrading to stay usable.

All that said in answer to your question and as an owner of said 17" G4 1.5Ghz Powerbook (using at this moment) I personally don't think that the ratings are comparable with similar pentium chips.

What may be a better answer is a real world comparison. If anyone out there has both mac and pc with similar GHz ratings then perhaps they can supply a better answer to your question - I can only go from my own experience.

I would say that my powerbook is easily capable of keeping up with most PC's even the 3.06GHz Pentium Xeon we have at work. This is not a tested or proven comment it's just myself having worked on both I know how they feel when working and the mac has a slightly faster overall feel to it, however there are some things that the pc can do quicker just as there are some things that the mac can do quicker.

With OS 10 the mac is now even easier to use and in laptop form its great I would reccomend that you get it maxed out with ram though and the best Graphics hardware you can as well.

Even after the comment at the top of my post (meant in good humor) I don't have a bias toward macs other than the design of them looks wise because they are much prettier to look at than pc's :D . I hope this essay has answered your question somewhat.

Lowly Designer
08-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Also check out www.vizik.com as they sometimes have cheap Apple stuff on there.:D

calico
08-08-2004, 06:36 AM
worked on both.
overall - powerbook is way to go.
sorry for this short reply but i'm on a deadline and typing every point 'why' would take some time.

twister47
08-08-2004, 09:33 AM
thanks guys, that helps

twister47
08-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Man Visik is cheap!

Anyone have experience with them?

Lowly Designer
08-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Yeah my mate in Scotland UK bought her ibook from there and she got it with no probs and no time delay - i think.

Anyway she seems happy with what she got so I presume the're sound.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply but I'm movig house at the moment and everythin' is up in the air.

Got your PM twister - yeah they are quite good on price - I did'nt know if they would have any deals on but it sounds like you've hit the jackpot anyway.

All I can say is enjoy :) :) :D

Ge4-ce
08-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Powerbooks are cool! I use one now. But however, there is NO WAY that a 1.5 ghz powerbook can measure up to a 3.06 Ghz Xeon. I simply cannot believe that! That is based pure on renderspeed I must say.

Advantages Mac:

Almost everything

-Ease of use
-Speed
-beauty and design
-functionality
-A-brand top quality product
-complete with a lot of options standard wich you probably should add seperate with a pc
-good screenquality
-compact!!
-Stable OS

Advantages PC:

At the moment: possible 30% to 40% speed advantge for PURE RENDERSPEED on a laptop

(G5 Mac desktops rule out the rest..)

I personally would go for the powerbook

Lowly Designer
08-10-2004, 06:31 AM
I didn't mean to suggest that the powerbook has a faster straight line render speed than the 3Gig xeon I just meant that overall the speed of the machine in real world tasks was quicker - sorry to mislead you Ge4-ce. I have worked on both machines and as I said earlier there are some things that work better on the pc and some things work better on the mac - I stress the point that I have no bias and don't want to start a mac v pc debate, however I still believe that my powerbook goes faster overall.

Hope this has helped to clear the misunderstanding. :)

Z_Render_8
08-10-2004, 10:24 PM
I can tell you this. My $1050 Dell using a 2.8ghz(No HT), 533 frontbus, 512 Ram, 60Gig HD and a 128mb video card beats my $2,300 PowerMac Dual 1.25ghz, 1Gig Ram with no problem. It usually does depends on what I am rendered sometimes. Here and there the mac is a little faster, but not by much. The renders are on an average of 15 to 45 seconds faster than a mac.

I sometimes ask myself is it worth getting the mac. I would never give up on the mac, they do make the best OS in the business and is very stable. However I am averaging about 3 or 4 crashes a day on the mac side. The PC maybe once every 3 weeks. It is very bad for loading LW 7.5 scenes. I don't understand this problem. LW 7.5 on 10.2.8 was rock solid!!!! I am still waiting from Newtek on this. I guess I won't be getting any news sometime soon.:confused:

MacDoggie
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
[snip]:
Powerbooks are cool! I use one now. But however, there is NO WAY that a 1.5 ghz powerbook can measure up to a 3.06 Ghz Xeon. I simply cannot believe that! That is based pure on renderspeed I must say.

We have a 1 gig G4 titanium Power book. I am not really a laptop kind of guy. I use the laptop primarily for presentations. But during the last two years we did an awful lot of traveling for work and to conferences. I still had to work on projects so my laptop WAS in essence my workstation. With a high speed connection, my powerbook and my mobilephone in my hotel room. I could indeed office out of the hotel and take care of my other clients and make the changes in a timely manner.

I have really garnered a newfound respect for the laptop. Would I opt for a laptop over a tower? Probably not but I would definitely have to have a laptop as a second machine and to take it a step further, I would most defintely opt for the Apple Powerbook over a wintel laptop any day.

tsmelker
08-13-2004, 10:31 AM
As a former, fed-up PC user, I will say that overall the Mac is your better purchase, hands down. If you want a good read on Macs, read Scott Kelby's book, "Macintosh... The Naked Truth". Although it's a bit biased (yet extremely funny!), it gives what I believe the best reason for buying and using a Mac- they're simply more stable. Microsoft spends so much time trying to eliminate conflicts in every imagineable hardware configuration, but they can't control the hardware- just the OS. Apple controls the hardware AND the OS, so your platform is so much more stable because of that. I spend more time trying to keep my wife's 2 year old HP working (running XP Pro) than I do actually getting work done on my 4 year old Power Mac G4 (running OS X Jaguar).

Besides, can anyone really say that they like the way their PC case looks? :D My G4 case simply ROCKS!

Jim_C
08-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Seems like a good time to show this again...
http://roadskin.sux2b.us/mac.wmv

he he he

makes me roll everytime.

Jim

and powerbooks do rock , but dual xeons sure roooolllllll

tsmelker
08-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Ya know, I've seen this video- do you know that this guy actually loves Macs, and had to put a notice on his website that he actually uses and loves Macs, cuz he was getting so much hate mail from die-hard Mac users!

Have you seen the one from Drunk Gamers?

tsmelker
08-13-2004, 10:57 AM
On the subject of Macs, though, don't buy a PowerBook or an iBook for LightWave- bite the bullet and get the top of the line, liquid cooled Dual-proc G5's for rendering. Laptops, whether PC or Mac, are not really the best equipment for longterm investment.

MacDoggie
08-13-2004, 11:45 AM
On the subject of Macs, though, don't buy a PowerBook or an iBook for LightWave- bite the bullet and get the top of the line, liquid cooled [snip]
Dual-proc G5's for rendering. Laptops, whether PC or Mac, are not really the best equipment for longterm investment.

Sound Advice. As I mentioned previously I have learned to really appreicate my Powerbook. But as a replacement for a fully configured tower with all the ram, not a chance. Mainly it is an issue of limited scalability due to the physical limitations of having to fit in a small space. Drives have to be smaller ram has to be smaller that means that there has to be some give and take and usually that means at the cost of efficiency and or performance.

A co worker of mine just got a new wintel 17" laptop. He was bragging that it used standard drives and memory and had a 3.2 gig processor on board. Sweet, but the ****ed thing was a big and heavy as a house. I just had to smile.....

toby
08-14-2004, 07:19 PM
my 2 bits - -

I am so FREAKIN' SICK of the way pc's work/don't work! I have to use one at work, it's good hardware maintained by trained technicians at a big company.

I'm so fed up with saying: "What the f### is going on??? Why won't this program run? Oh, I haven't rebooted today :rolleyes: Why have my settings changed??? Why is the network down again? Can I play one song without it skipping 60 times??" ( I can't install iTunes ) I swear it's like driving across town and having to stop every mile and re-start your car, and your radio buzzes from the spark plugs firing!

If you're used to this stuff and are used to paying less for it, and you want access to more plug-ins than you can use, get a PC -

'scuse me I'm going to reboot now ~

Ge4-ce
08-15-2004, 04:45 AM
Oh yeah,.. Toby! You said it all!

Were I work now, I also have to work with a pc. It's supposed to be a workstation maintained by quality computertechs, and it works just fine!

Well.. fine, except from some issues with the ATI firegl card that will give me a bluescreen 2 times a day. Or 3 when I'm lucky!

Also, if I surf on the internet and don't switch the computer down during the night, (for rendering) in the morning, I have to reboot because everything goes SO SLOW! Never had this with Mac.

You can work very good on a pc! Only you can't do all the things you want..

If you can live with that.. get a pc. otherwise.. get a Mac!

Lowly Designer
08-15-2004, 05:24 AM
I see that this thread is still going strong despite my earlier comments to the fact that I didn't want to start a debate - however as this forum is not controlled by me in person then I can't really stop people having a debate can I :) .

I am now going to add my 2 bits worth to the debate, this has nothing to do with the original start of the thread but i thought i'd add it anyway.

I used to have a Quad 500Mhz processor Xeon Server at work and again it was supposed to be maintained by expert technicians and we paid a service contract on it of over 13000 pounds a year to keep it running which it did most of the time however it never at any time performed as it was intended to and constantly needed managing, as well as throwing up bizzare messages all the time and things constantly terminating abnormally even though no-one touched it - to cut a long story short it was s**t. The raids attached to it were also throwing bizzare alarms and stuff as well.

It is still being used now and every day there are messages on screen about things not working at startup at least 5 messages. it's a pain.

However all the macs at work were fairly stable apart from the odd software crash.

I repeat that I am not biased but PC's just seem to have more unfathomable problems with no explanation as to what caused them. The error messages bear no relation to what causes the problem and there is very little help to decipher them anyway.

Having said all that they are more customisable have vast resources and can be made to suit any configuration or purpose and they are cheap.

Right thats it i've finished my rant.

Best regards to all

Lowly