PDA

View Full Version : Urban Sprawl

jevinstudios
08-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Here's a glimpse at a project I'm working on for a key player in the global Aerospace/Defense industry. This is a complex urban environment to be used in 3D simulation animation highlighting (confidential) technological advancements.

Not going for photorealism here; my style is "stylized realism".

Scene stats: 3,066,915 polygons, with 1,076 surfaces (using 115 photographic image maps for textures).

Created with LW 8 on an HP nw8000 mobile workstation, 2 GB of RAM, ATI 128 MB T2 graphics card (Win)

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Urban004.jpg

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Urban005.jpg

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Urban012.jpg

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Urban014.jpg

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Urban011.jpg

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Urban013.jpg

veljko
08-07-2004, 03:13 AM
looks cool-
good details-
I think it would really kick *** with radiosity-
:)

richdj
08-07-2004, 04:13 AM
:D Excellent job.

Rich

ingo
08-07-2004, 04:53 AM
The invasion of the giant palms is about to begin ... use the force gardener :D

Take care of your scaling, some things like the telephone masts are a bit to large. That makes the whole thing look like a tiny modell. Otherwise nice city, now add people :)

riki
08-07-2004, 05:55 AM
wow excellent work, I'm lovin it.

gpdesigner
08-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Dude... this is out of control..... OMG!!!
what did you spend.. like 2 years doing this....? That is freagin' amazing...
There is a lot of stuff going on there.. really nice image...
I see a lot of repete geometry but with a scene this large you got to expect that... holly cow.
You know..... If this were on a conversational forum, I would have to ask about the Project itself, like.. Why is a global Aerospace/Defense Industry contractor want a 3d model of a city for simulation reasons.... :confused: * looks over shoulder*
....great job jevin...
only one crit... Palm trees... do they really grow that big...?
Must be Texas... D' oh..!
gp

jevinstudios
08-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanx for the excellent feedback!!! Really appreciate it.....

what did you spend.. like 2 years doing this....? That is freagin' amazing...

Spent 2 months creating the buildings and textures (this is only a fraction of the urban library I've created -- there's a whole high-rise downtown group I haven't set-up in a scene yet....)

I see a lot of repete geometry but with a scene this large you got to expect that...

Yeah -- from most animated angles, ya' won't notice.

Why is a global Aerospace/Defense Industry contractor want a 3d model of a city for simulation reasons.... * looks over shoulder*

This is not the time to be a terrorist (as if there ever is a good time). All I can say is, if you are one of the bad guyz, then you are in for a very, very bad day......

The client originally wanted this done in Maya. 100% of the geometry is created and textured in LW -- had to port the scene to Maya for animating, but Maya couldn't handle it. Constant crashes and inability to render or test render the frames caused nothing but headaches and stress.... Had to split up each rendered frame into 7+ passes, then composite in AfterEffects. Each frame took over 1+ hours to render, if we could get the pipeline to finish without an abort or crash!

Enter LightWave to the rescue. I re-set up the scene in LightWave, and can now render every frame in one pass, with 4 times the detail -- takes about 4-8 minutes per frame, depending on the camera angle and geometry in the camera view. Have not had LW crash or abort a render once since I ported 100% of the scene back into this app. Now, I can say with all confidence and pride, that LW is going to be used for all aspects of the project in it's entirety, with a dramatically increased level of productivity and final rendered output that Maya just couldn't provide!

Gotta love this software!

veljko
08-08-2004, 12:20 PM
warms my heart to hear souch things!
go LW!
we love ya!:)

miso popovic
08-08-2004, 03:46 PM
great looking images! But could look even better with Radiosity, but i guess if your gonna do animation it's a bit to much to render..

jevinstudios
08-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I agree about the radiosity, but the render times would be too much for the short timeframe allotted for the project. Bummer.... Gotta make do with what ya got (time and $$-wise). Only have 3 weeks to produce a whole animated segment for a DVD. Very tight!

miso popovic
08-09-2004, 03:52 AM
yea, i know what you mean, it allways like that, will there ever be a client with the time that is actualy needed to do the work normaly! :)

object
08-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Nice neighborhood, but could use a few more plants.

adrian
08-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Awesome detail.

Nice to hear that LW can outperform the heavyweights of this world...

Adrian.

Bigboy
08-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Now this is what GTA should look like!

Ever thought of going into Video games? I know artists and level designers that would take years over something this size!! :D

Very cool, well done.

Have a holiday...........enjoy it? now back to work! ;)

jevinstudios
08-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Ever thought of going into Video games? I know artists and level designers that would take years over something this size!!

I've actually worked on 13 video game projects in the past, for Playstation 2, XBox & Game Cube. Am bidding on a major upcoming title right now, and should know in a few days if I get the gig (am included in a package deal with another studio....).

Really appreciate the kewl feedback, guyz! Thanx!

Bigboy
08-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Great! Let us know what it is if you get it, since I suspect its gonna look great! :)

miso popovic
08-10-2004, 03:29 AM
Impressive porfolio! if you have any need for a freelacer anytime please buzz me :)

jevinstudios
08-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Great! Let us know what it is if you get it, since I suspect its gonna look great!

Thanx! If I get the gig, I'll be under NDA until the job is finished, but will definitely post the info once I can......

Impressive porfolio! if you have any need for a freelacer anytime please buzz me

Thanx, Miso! Will keep that in mind.

mgrusin
08-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Love the "Jevin Beer" sign. :D

Years ago I heard animator Mike Jittlov (http://www.jittlov.com/) speak at a film festival. A few of his clips had similar signs, and the question came up. He said he always tries to discreetly put his name into each animation. It could help him in court if anyone tries to steal his work, and it also gives people who know him an easter egg to look for.

Great work! :eek: -MG.

jevinstudios
08-10-2004, 12:01 PM
You caught me! You're the first to point this out. I put my own artwork (both drawings, signs, images, etc.) in all my work wherever I can. You'll see other billboards in this cityscape that have my illustrations embedded in them. Very subtle, but it works as a subliminal watermark.

dwburman
08-11-2004, 08:54 AM
I saw that sign and was going to ask what you charge for billboard space. However, if you want to keep everything in the "subliminal watermark" category then you'd have to design it and I'm not willing to give up creative control. :)

jevinstudios
08-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Another way to look at it is "product placement", which is becoming more and more prevalent in television programs, movies, etc. I've just re-tooled it to place my own product: my services and my studio......